Employee kicked up a rock and broke glass....price?

DA Quality Lawn & YS

LawnSite Fanatic
My right hand guy today flung a rock and shattered a tempered glass patio door panel. Great Monday.

At any rate, any of you guys ever do this and what was replace/repair estimate.
I got guoted $650 which seems way high...idk...

Hawkshot99

LawnSite Silver Member
I did it about a month ago. Quotes were between 6-900.
I have not gotten it fixed yet as the homeowner has a very busy schedule and has not been able to be there to get it fixed.
She is a family friend so she decided she will get it fixed and tell me how much. It's someone I know and trust.

weeze

LawnSite Fanatic
$650 for just the glass? or a whole new door?

seems very high to me unless it's some super fancy stained glass or something.

i would think $100 or so just for new glass at the most.

prezek

LawnSite Senior Member
Sliding glass patio door? We’ve broke way too many the last few years...most recent was 425. Most expensive was 625....cheap storm door glass is usually about 150.

Mark Stark

LawnSite Fanatic
$650 doesn't sound bad. We spent $3k on new patio sliding door last year. Local, highly reputable company. They guarantee the door for "life" (meaning as long as we own this house). They said if I get bored and throw a baseball through the glass door, it's covered for free.

Any chance your customer has this sort of deal and are unaware of it?

For what it's worth, we broke a customer front door glass and I think that was $400. Slider would be more I figure.

OP
DA Quality Lawn & YS

DA Quality Lawn & YS

LawnSite Fanatic
$650 doesn't sound bad. We spent $3k on new patio sliding door last year. Local, highly reputable company. They guarantee the door for "life" (meaning as long as we own this house). They said if I get bored and throw a baseball through the glass door, it's covered for free.

Any chance your customer has this sort of deal and are unaware of it?

For what it's worth, we broke a customer front door glass and I think that was $400. Slider would be more I figure.

I should have added more info. This is a condo complex. Highly unlikely there is a breakage guarantee on the door. An old guy occupies this thing in a marginal part of town. I just want to get it fixed for him quick but yet not get hosed over either.

Sounds like yall kind of think $6xx is about what it will be...damn.

Mark Stark

LawnSite Fanatic
I should have added more info. This is a condo complex. Highly unlikely there is a breakage guarantee on the door. An old guy occupies this thing in a marginal part of town. I just want to get it fixed for him quick but yet not get hosed over either.

Sounds like yall kind of think $6xx is about what it will be...damn.
Yea man this sucks for sure. Definitely ruins a day, if not the entire week

kemco

LawnSite Fanatic
Half pane is going to run you or should run you about $250 installed. Full about twice that. I've usually installed them myself and take the frame in to save the glass company service trip.

But I also call on the same independent glass guy when I can't get round to doing it myself. If I use him it's less than half the cost and he installs and measures but he will not do tempered . So for a full door non tempered it'll run me less than 2 bills and he does it all. But all that being said those quotes to me are a little high but not too far off if using a larger glass company. Try to get quotes from smaller independent ones.

Last year one of my guys busted lower half of a tempered. I pulled the frame and cleaned up the glass. Took frame to major big glass company here. It was $90. I took it back over and installed it myself. Customer happy. Now if the dang thing had broken on the way back to the shop I'd be buying another one. If it had been a full pane I think I'd had let the glass company do it. But you can still save money if you take them the frame they don't have to go out and measure and clean it up. FWIW.

adkinslawncareobetz

LawnSite Member
I used to sell patio doors. Just a regular plain cheap door, if glass only needs replaced it won't be bad. If it is a high end patio door , some glass companies won't replace it. There is no cut and dried " this is what it will cost". I have seen people have to order a new half door for 1800.00 before. I hope yours is a cheap one and can just have glass replaced like previous poster said.