Employee Production

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by PKLIP, May 27, 2018.

1. PKLIP

PKLIP LawnSite Member

We are growing our application side of the business rapidly. We currently have about 250 residential clients and a handful of HOAs/commercial sites. We have one technician who on most days is spraying out of a 200 gal space saver. Employee is a registered technician with the state (VA) and has limited knowledge of weed ID, products etc, however he is a good applicator when he wants to be, which brings me to my problem. His production seems very low and he is quick to find reasons why he cannot get the job done for the day. He complains saying the larger properties require 2 technicians. He makes $18/hr plus a $25 daily bonus if he finishes his route. I set his route based upon a certain dollar amount per day which ends up equaling about 15 lawns (average lawn is 7-8k sf), so about 120k sf of turf per day. He seems to think that this production goal is outrageous, I think he is lazy and we need to find a new tech. What does everyone else think about this?

2. PKLIP

PKLIP LawnSite Member

Also, our routes are pretty dense, so average drive time between properties is about 5 minutes.

3. BigJlittleC

BigJlittleC LawnSite Gold Member
    from Chicago

Try a ride along with him. Be surprised how when the boss is in the truck guys move a little faster and take less breaks. If your with him and he is working at a good pace and still unable to complete that's when you should address the production goals. Do you have another tech? If so is he able to keep up?

4. PKLIP

PKLIP LawnSite Member

I try to ride along with him about once every other week or so. He is good when we are together, and we have no problem hitting production goals. We don't have another tech, just him.

5. BigJlittleC

BigJlittleC LawnSite Gold Member
    from Chicago

When you ride along do you help? Your help might be the reason he is able to complete. If you just sit back and observe then he is just slacking when your not around.

ted putnam likes this.
  6. trimmasters

trimmasters LawnSite Senior Member

He is lazy and you need to find a new tech. My guys do 20- 30 stops, 250-300k a day hand spraying.

kemco, Cjames808 and PKLIP like this.
  7. ted putnam

ted putnam LawnSite Fanatic

When spraying with a hose and gun, we spray out 300 gal tanks by 2-2;30.(150,000 ft sq) Some of our routes are dense, some not so dense. I'll be 53 this year and I'm in there doing it too.
    How old is this guy?
    Money doesn't seem to be a motivator. Perhaps time would be?
    Offer salary instead of hourly maybe
    Tell him when you're done and prepared for the next day, you can go home.
    Of course, he handles all service calls and take deductions from his pay for services calls for weeds or less than excellent service. So, there are are repercussions for poor quality work.
    Sounds to me like he may be trying to "milk the clock"

And, as others have said, you may have to find a new employee.

Mitty87 and PKLIP like this.
  8. jc1

jc1 LawnSite Silver Member

Not everyone works the same or is motivated the same way. Plus every area is different square foot and what you can charge vary. 15 lawns at 120k should be a reasonably profitable day.
    We would be satisfied with 15 lawn per day average.

9. ted putnam

ted putnam LawnSite Fanatic

Us as well. we are very rural. However, you have to admit, if he's not able to spray out 200 gal in an 8 hr day with a reasonable amount of accuracy/quality, he's spending too much time in the cab, even in a somewhat rural area.
    Maybe some pointers on time saving techniques. Have invoice and flag in hand before getting out of truck to treat so you can hang the invoice when close to front door and post flag just before leaving. Little things and a bit of organization make a big difference over the course of a work day. Just saying.

PKLIP likes this.
  10. PKLIP

PKLIP LawnSite Member

15 is the goal and is a pretty profitable day. If he completes his route in a day he gets a $25 cash bonus. My expectation is that he is able to get this bonus 2 or 3 times a week. The average is 10 or 11 a day probably which I feel is low.