Employee Quality

TPendagast

LawnSite Fanatic
@TPendagast
This crew works our condo communities. Expecting weeds to be pulled, curbs and rock beds to be sprayed, shrubs attempted to be trimmed, etc. surely isn’t requesting perfection ??!!
Does any of this stuff pull itself?
Do you have replacement employees?
im not sure I understand pulling weeds in a world where we have as many options in preemergent as we do, if apps are made on time there’s very little to pull.
if they expect NO weeds then that is perfection and unrealistic to expect the mow crew to accomplish that, a detail or gardening crew should do that.
Too many things to do on a large property with only two guys, something is going to be missed.

I can’t tell you how many articles I’ve read this week talking about this being the summer everyone is quitting their job.
So not only can you not get new people, the prediction is 40% of existing employees will walk.
To where I don’t know, no one seems to know.

Crazy 4 grass

LawnSite Fanatic
Does any of this stuff pull itself?
Do you have replacement employees?
im not sure I understand pulling weeds in a world where we have as many options in preemergent as we do, if apps are made on time there’s very little to pull.
if they expect NO weeds then that is perfection and unrealistic to expect the mow crew to accomplish that, a detail or gardening crew should do that.
Too many things to do on a large property with only two guys, something is going to be missed.

I can’t tell you how many articles I’ve read this week talking about this being the summer everyone is quitting their job.
So not only can you not get new people, the prediction is 40% of existing employees will walk.
To where I don’t know, no one seems to know.
Self pulling weeds... that's a million dollar idea sir :nod:

OP
K

knoxJRM

LawnSite Senior Member
@TPendagast
Pre or post do not help weeds inside shrubs. We apply 6 month pre-m to all our beds on a 4 month schedule. We have very few weeds to pull but 4’ tall weed in the center of a boxwood hedge sure looks like hell and isn’t too much to ask a guy walking the sidewalk weekly with a backpack blower or string trimmer to pull.

TPendagast

LawnSite Fanatic
@TPendagast
Pre or post do not help weeds inside shrubs. We apply 6 month pre-m to all our beds on a 4 month schedule. We have very few weeds to pull but 4’ tall weed in the center of a boxwood hedge sure looks like hell and isn’t too much to ask a guy walking the sidewalk weekly with a backpack blower or string trimmer to pull.
Casaron will kill the weeds in the shrubs
just don’t let it wash into the turf
Over the top by fertilome also kills grass but not desirable shrubs or ground cover

casaron is no good for annual beds will kill those too

neither is good for edibles

kemco

LawnSite Fanatic
McDs offering $11 to $14 an hour here with no experience. About 2x min wage here. And they still can't find full crews. I guess next season I'll find out if customers really want to pay $65 for what is a $45 yard this year.

DA Quality Lawn & YS

LawnSite Fanatic
McDs offering $11 to $14 an hour here with no experience. About 2x min wage here. And they still can't find full crews. I guess next season I'll find out if customers really want to pay $65 for what is a $45 yard this year.

Darn right, raise those prices.

OP
K

knoxJRM

LawnSite Senior Member
I am going to raise our annual agreements for 2022. Mailing it out around Nov 15th. Haven’t decided the percentage yet. Instead of doing each one individually I think I am going to blanket raise by 5-10%. If we lose 1/3 of our customers over it. We will just lose 1/3 of our employees. That is my current mindset with the employee issues we are having.

Top Forums