Employee quits due to Covid19 concerns

JFGLN

LawnSite Fanatic
Have you had employees not want to work due to Covid19? I had 2 basically quit when the Governors order was put in place.

One had a new baby and didn't want to be out working at all. Which is fine, I understand and told him to contact me when he feels comfortable.

The second one is totally convinced landscapers are not allowed to work. I suspect he is just looking for a free ride. I talked to him Monday and told him we are working and so is every other lawn service in the county.

He applied for,

Unemployment
Food stamps
Emergency loan from his bank
Welfare - DSHS called yesterday
Stopped paying his rent - no evictions allowed

Anyhow just ranting a bit.

knox gsl

LawnSite Fanatic
Have you had employees not want to work due to Covid19? I had 2 basically quit when the Governors order was put in place.

One had a new baby and didn't want to be out working at all. Which is fine, I understand and told him to contact me when he feels comfortable.

The second one is totally convinced landscapers are not allowed to work. I suspect he is just looking for a free ride. I talked to him Monday and told him we are working and so is every other lawn service in the county.

He applied for,

Unemployment
Food stamps

I know who would have zero chance of ever working for me again.

TPendagast

LawnSite Fanatic

He applied for,

Unemployment
Food stamps

did you inform the state of his REASON for quitting?
I looked it up, not wanting to work without being sick or having the symptoms is NOT covered by CARES act, so he just quit and the circumstances are just like he did it if there never was corona

TPendagast

LawnSite Fanatic
I'm having the opposite problem. All my guys are very eager to come in to work. Slightly reduced hours is alot better than 55% unemployment. It's the construction crew I'm more worried about.

If things fully shut down, at least that's one less guy you need to keep busy.
Things won’t fully shutdown
They’ve announced the curve is starting to flatten
Those that are already in trouble will die in the next 9 days
But the new infections are dropping off so there’s much less likely to be any new drastic steps in states that have already shutdown.
Now as for “what corona virus states?”
Who knows they may have to start this in June

heck IM getting emails from Florida to come rent motorcycles at 50% off, cmon down ! We are open!!

Like I’ve said
If everyone had just done this thing for three weeks, in the beginning it would have been over by now

Gawd there’s things I miss about the military sometimes!

Tara Ann

LawnSite Bronze Member
Do you know anybody who has received that much?

Missouri Department of Labor (yesterday):

"The Federal CARES Act Legislation provides that eligible claimants shall receive an additional $600 per week payment. This payment to eligible claimants will begin for the week ending April 4, 2020, and will continue until the week ending July 25, 2020. Unemployment benefits, including this additional $600 per week payment, are subject to federal and state income taxes."

The states had to wait for the federal government to disburse the funds. It's definitely happening. Cannot speak on the process in Washington, unfortunately, but in Missouri, employers have the right to deny the unemployment claim. It's a process, here, with a few hoops to jump through.

Top Forums