Lawn Care Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
4,346 Posts
I have had some bad ones this year. Alot who were supposed to start and never managed to make it in at all. One guy went a week and a half giving excuses morning of his first day, from things like have to help my gf look after sick kid, or have to drive 2 hours to submit passport papers etc.

Then a month ago hired a guy on at 80k CAD plus benefits to run a crew and told him its mostly paver and retaining wall work. But he doesn't really seem like hes done more than a handful of days of that type of work (he knew he had to run the jobs, foreman job description) and hes average 2.5 days per week over the first month with various health issues/sick kid issues.

· Registered
4,346 Posts
I have had some bad ones this year. Alot who were supposed to start and never managed to make it in at all. One guy went a week and a half giving excuses morning of his first day, from things like have to help my gf look after sick kid, or have to drive 2 hours to submit passport papers etc.

Then a month ago hired a guy on at 80k CAD plus benefits to run a crew and told him its mostly paver and retaining wall work. But he doesn't really seem like hes done more than a handful of days of that type of work (he knew he had to run the jobs, foreman job description) and hes average 2.5 days per week over the first month with various health issues/sick kid issues.
My foreman only worked nov 1-4 and then the 16th and 1 hour on the 17th, nothing on the 18th. Payday cutoff is 15th and payday on 18th.

So I sent pay for the 4 days he worked from Nov 1-15. He had to tell me tonight he wont be coming in anymore and asked for the 16th pay period. So I guess upping pay doesn't help, will just train my own crew leaders for less money.

· Registered
4,346 Posts
it costs me $10/hr to operate hedge trimming equipment based on how hard employees are on it, with fuel and maintenance and replacement. Assuming I get them sharpened and tuned up, I don't have time for it. $20/hr to operate a mini 4000lb excavator. Canadian dollars.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts