Employees Approached To Give Estimate

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by Utah Lawn Care, Mar 21, 2016.

1. Utah Lawn Care

Utah Lawn Care LawnSite Bronze Member

How do you have your employees handle inquiries about how much they would charge to mow a lawn, or do some other service? When I am out working it seems like every week we get approached and I take a look and give them an estimate. When I am not with the employees I have them get a name and phone number and tell them we will get in touch with them later that day to get them the estimate. Have any of you found a better way to do it? Do any of you allow your employees to give estimates on the spot?

2. raceone10

raceone10 LawnSite Member

I think your doing it right. I do the same thing. When I'm there I can (as the owner) give an estimate. For my guys working the daily cuts. They point to the trailer and tell them to call that # and someone will answer their inquires.

3. Mow-Daddy.com

Mow-Daddy.com LawnSite Fanatic

I would never let a crew worker give an estimate. They don't know my pricing formula, or they give a poor responce to some questions. And turn-off a potential client. Keep some business cards in every truck if crew gets approached by potential customer just have them call you.

4. G.M. Landscaping

G.M. Landscaping LawnSite Member

So I used to work at a medium sized family owned lawn care company, where we only did strictly fertilization and weed control. We had our own districts and we had to do estimates in our districts. We had clip boards with price charts of the square footage of the yard and the price we would charge them. Now I know you said for mowing or other things. I'd give them a chart for what you would charge to do a lawn with 2,000 sq ft and up. I mean I know it's hard to tell what to charge unless you're looking at the yard. And if it's something bigger then mowing or fertilizing I'd have them write the name number and adress down and you can estimate the property yourself. I'd also supply them with a digital measuring wheel.P.S. Our chart for prices was taped on the back of our estimate clipboard. Hope this helps.

5. calvinslawnservices

calvinslawnservices LawnSite Senior Member

I'd have them text you the name, number, and address as soon as that client walks away from them. If they jot it down on a piece of paper it could easily get lost.

6. wbw

wbw LawnSite Fanatic

Reward your employees (lunch) for putting you in touch. Reward them a little more ($100) if the prospect hires you. You and the employee will both be happier.