1. Trouble Finding PPE, Sanitizer, and Cleaning Supplies?

How can you get what you need for the safety of your crews? Click here to learn more.

Dismiss Notice

Employees Damaging Things

Discussion in 'Employment' started by azlandshapes, May 22, 2020.

1. azlandshapes

azlandshapes LawnSite Member

We have all had this issue. Employees come back w a truck that damaged or they damage a clients property. It’s always a mistake and ****, mistakes happen. Well....

my guys went out to a house to remove a plant from a pot in an atrium and in the process of removing the pot itself did some damage to the door frame and door of a very expensive home. same guy had 4 bags of sand fall in a tail gate last month (he paid for 1/3 of a used replacement) and screwed up the tail gate beyond use.

What’s the recourse?

2. OP
    OP
    azlandshapes

azlandshapes LawnSite Member

Is it illegal to make people help you pay for repairs? There’s not a lot of options here

you fire a guy reprimand him make him pay for damages?

jetson likes this.
  3. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes LawnSite Fanatic

Not illegal as long as he agrees to it. And his pay can't fall below minimum wage.

Some of it is training, some of it is carelessness caused by an inability to think. I've had more than my share of guys that could break anvils. I terminate them and the damages stop. But there has to be a pattern.

Had one guy plowing for me that cost me more than the income--NOT PROFIT--from the whole route. Some of the damage wasn't reported until later so I didn't fire him in time.

4. Crazy 4 grass

Crazy 4 grass LawnSite Gold Member

If accidents are repeatedly happening with the same person involved.... it's probably going to continue

kemco, Cam15 and sjessen like this.
  5. Trees Too

Trees Too LawnSite Fanatic

@Mark Oomkes
    Not completely on the topic here, but just curious if you're familiar with this guy since he's in your neck of the woods/state.
    www.dol.gov/newsroom/releases/whd/whd20191231-6

6. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes LawnSite Fanatic

7. JagT20N

JagT20N LawnSite Senior Member
    Male, from will county Il

depending on YOUR state labor laws for repayment or restitution for damages each vary , In Illinois its illegal to withhold or make the employee pay any of the costs unless it was done intentionally or willfully ( which is hard to prove , as the state makes you carry insurance for that reason ) , if your a at will state you can let the employee go for no reason , just tell him hes not needed , wait a a week and hire a replacement and your safe as you do not have to hire him back . but then you might have to fight the unemployment claims .. often it was just easier and cheaper to let them go and not fight the UI claim .

zlandman and Jeff@diyokc like this.
  8. grass man 11

grass man 11 LawnSite Senior Member

Hate me if you wish. Employees make mistakes, that’s why they are not business owners. You make big money when things go well and your open to big expenses when things do not. Asking an employee to pay for an honest mistake is dirty and low unless it was intentional. Fire the guy, write them up, delay a future pay raise, but asking them to pony up isn’t right unless your also giving them a cut if the profits. I know lots of employees that leave jobs for reasons like this.

kemco, Cam15, BrandonV and 5 others like this.
  9. TPendagast

TPendagast LawnSite Fanatic
    Male

Leave a job for what?
    Being asked to be responsible and accountable?
    Is that not what they are being paid for in the first place?
    Do you often pay for things and not expect what you paid for?

well I paid for 5 gallons of gas at the pump but only got 3 it’s ok la de da

the problem is there’s zero way to make the employee accountable
    They don’t learn and grow if they aren’t affected
    It’s like a dog
    If he craps on your rug you can’t rub his nose in it a week later.
    The employee doesn’t equate not getting a raise due to their mistakes, they think your stingy because that thing the damaged, that was last week... what about this week, this week is when I want my raise.
    Then they just go to the next company and pull the same behavior there.
    Round and round it goes, because the government refuses to allow any accountability.
    Why are there so many felons?
    No accountability

no one just robs a bank someday or arbitrarily drives by a house full of people they don’t like and hoses it with bullets ... these things escalate
    The minor things aren’t handled
    They become more brazen
    Delayed discipline isn’t working
    Then kaboom

if it’s not happening in society it’s in your business or maybe both.

Where does it end?
    Well he got what he deserved once he gets arrested, right?
    Wrong
    He gets a vacation with a bed, private security, a personal nanny to wake him up come meal times and three hot well balanced meals a day he doesn’t pay for himself, you do.
    That and endless free healthcare.

tie everything to someone’s paycheck and all of the sudden they’re Joan of friggin arc! the pope himself would canonize him where he stands.

money talks

why do you think so many people 1099 their employees?
    It’s illegal
    But it’s effective.

10. JagT20N

JagT20N LawnSite Senior Member
    Male, from will county Il

being we are in a disposable society ( which includes seasonal labor ) you can't really use the keep records and use them at review time because often the person leaves when winter hits , Just remember not to hire them next season or ever again , Just remember it if they come asking for a raise . if they don't like it you might be better off .

as for the 1099 bit , careful... talk to your attorney about it , as in my old industry after Fed ex thought they could do it with the independent contract drivers , its a tricky thing and many companies are getting turned in when the "employees " find out when taxes are filed and they have to pay the FICA and Extra taxes and fines , happened to several small companies around here ( not trucking either ) and the Fed ex case was the precedent and the companies ( many Sole propritors and LLC ) got big fines and had to reimburse the differences .

hort101 likes this.