1. Ask the Expert: Fertilization Strategies for Success: Dec. 12, 2017
    Learn how to do more with less when it comes to your fertilization services. Join the live Ask the Expert event hosted by Koch Turf & Ornamental: Dec. 12, 12-2 p.m. ET in the Fertilizer Application forum .

Employer ID Number

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by jdmcat, Jan 15, 2008.

  1. jdmcat

    jdmcat LawnSite Senior Member
    from Idaho
    Messages: 439

    if you're not going to have employees, can you still get an EIN?
  2. shovelracer

    shovelracer LawnSite Silver Member
    Messages: 2,008

    Yes you have to get one for banking purposes. You cant put business checks in a personal account.
  3. Wells

    Wells LawnSite Member
    from SLC UT
    Messages: 0

    If your "NOT" going to have employees and are structured as a "Sole Proprietor" then you are "NOT" required to obtain an EIN as your social security number works in place of a EIN.

    If your business structure is "LLC", "Corp", "S-Corp" or "Sole Proprietor with employees" then you "WILL" need to obtain the EIN number from the IRS.
  4. lawnpro724

    lawnpro724 LawnSite Silver Member
    Messages: 2,201

    As Wells said you don't need one but unless you like giving out your social security # to everyone you do work for, I would get one www.irs.gov
  5. echeandia

    echeandia LawnSite Bronze Member
    Messages: 1,131

    Wells is correct.
  6. mow2nd

    mow2nd LawnSite Senior Member
    Messages: 603

    I agree with Wells, you can just use your SS#.
  7. Grits

    Grits LawnSite Silver Member
    from Florida
    Messages: 2,994

    When I was a Sole Prop I had an EIN. Easier and more professional than social #, IMO.
  8. jdmcat

    jdmcat LawnSite Senior Member
    from Idaho
    Messages: 439

    thanks everyone, thats what i thought but wasn't sure
  9. RedSox4Life

    RedSox4Life LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Mass
    Messages: 1,739

    If I'm not mistaken, if you have an EIN but no employees, you'll need to file form 944 annually instead of 941 quarterly. I also think when you get apply for your number they automatically tag you as a 941 filer so you need to make sure to request a change.
  10. jphag

    jphag LawnSite Member
    Messages: 219

    Yes. go online and apply for your EIN. It is essential for banking purposes.

Share This Page