Lawn Care Forum banner

ENclosed Advice

2K views 12 replies 9 participants last post by  Bibbee Lawn Care 
#1 ·
Im looking into getting an enclosed trailer for my mower and equipment this year.
My reasoning, Im in college(2 yrs to go, and will be cutting on weekends in the fall)...operate out of my parents place and im running out of room in the shed/garage.its also nice to hook and mow.

I have a 48in Exmark TTHP with hustler sulky + a 22 in push and handtools
I have large accounts here and would like to add on a 60in Exmark next year

So my question
Should i be looking into a 6x12 or a 7X14
will a 48 and a 60 fit in an enclosed 6x12?

Being into turf science i plan to offer hydroseeding in the future as well which would require a flat trailer.

Thanks!
Brenden

#3 ·
It will fit in a 6x12 but enclosed trailer axles tend to bend really easy. I had a toro z400 48" and 36" lesco w/b and I bent the axle. I would get a tandem axle trailer and would really consider the 7x14 because a 60 will be really tight trying to walk past to get to hand helds on the walls or w/e.

#4 ·
if u buy small u stay small, if u buy big, u can allways due with a little extra space. with trailers the bigger the better....u dont want to be buying another one 2 years from now when business grows and u need to carry an extra machine....u could also put 5k axles on the tandem....most single axles r junk, built like junk...welds break, and the frame steel is chincy...think like a chess player and think 3 years ahead.

a few of my friends who bought short bed pickups wish they had the long bed.

#5 ·
funny you should say that!, i have a short bed. But i mainly want to stay into lawn care maintenace, shrub pruning, fert, aeration, dethach, and would love to get into hydro seeding. Dont do too much landscape work so an open is possible but enclosed is my style and i need room

Enclosed would be good for hauling the fertilizer equipment/ products

#6 ·
I am also in college and mowing around class. I just bought a horton hauler 6x12 tandem axle with 7k gvw. I fit my walker with the deck flipped up, and my ferris 48" wb just right. My tools hang on the walls. Other then that there is no spare room. Get a name brand if you get one tho. The horton is but good.
Posted via Mobile Device

#7 ·
Im in the same boat your in, college classes and living at home with all my equipment taking up my dads shed. i have a 54 JD Z-830A, 42 JD LA125 and a push, and for me i was figuring an enclosed 7x18 was the smallest i could go with out being cramped. I have a 5x10 open and wasn't thinking far enough in to the future when i bought it. If i could go back i would have gone bigger.

#9 ·
i see the trailer being used for mowing and mowing only during mowing season...so why throw all those otehr edgers and tillers in there when you scrambling from lawn to lawn..
Now for aeration season i could see rolling around with one of those in the trailer
otherwise id keep those in the shed for the summer and in the trailer for winter.
Im sure also i could grow my business more and more if i wasnt in school but cant take on too much work ya know
so i dont know whats ahead of me....
im hoping to relocate and work on a golf course once i get my turf degree

#10 ·
Because I have customers that want edging and I have only had my echo trimmer for a year now and stil can't get the edge I want with that, and the edger I have; I got for 20$ out of a garage sale and all I had to do was rebuild the carb!
Posted via Mobile Device

#11 ·
Just measure your equipment + space between + storage + room to move around + extra because most everyone wants more.

Draw lines/boxes of the various sizes you are considering in your driveway and place your equipment in the those boxes. Now consider movement and your future. Think about things like, what if I move from a 48" to a 61". What impact will that have on space?

Also, what are you pulling this new trailer with? Will it pull an enclosed trailer which will be twice as heavy as your typical landscape trailer?

#12 ·
i am going to do this!... I have a silverado 1500 with a leveling kit and 33's adding airbags and it has 4.10 gears stock! the enclosed should be no problem. its stopping im worried about...jk jk

i want to get a 54 in scag soon and want to keep the Exmark TTHP
ive got some lawns that are just so big my back screams for help.

#13 ·
I went with a 6 1/2x12 and I can fit two 48" walk behinds and one 21", although it is very tight. After I built a custom shelf in the front of my v-nose and custom weadeater racks everything fits perfect. I have to say, I wish I would have went with a 14' from the start because I know I will have to upgrade to a bigger zero turn eventually. The other day I put a few hand tools in the back of my truck before taking an extra long lunch break at a Ryan's buffet and needless to say when I got back to the job site my $35 broom was gone. The enclosed trailer is great against theft, thats the main reason I bought one.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.