enclosed trailer idea.

Dawson

LawnSite Bronze Member
I keep my 60 inch mower at the back because I use that on every yard, then I just park it off to the side if I need my 36 for a small gate. It's one extra step on yards where I need both (about 1/3 of my customers) but not that big a deal, extra 30 seconds at the most on yards where I use both. Keep in mind I'm a one man operation, a good setup for a crew might be different.

I like the way your thinking cause I think about things like that too (being as efficient with my time and energy as possible) but I'm not sure what your wanting to do would be worth the trade off to save 30 seconds here and there?

If I did that I think I would consider just raising the whole floor as opposed to a hump in the middle? Plus it won't work at all if you upgrade to a larger big mower, I think your going to be pretty tight with what you have now side by side.

OP
R

Ready to Mow

LawnSite Gold Member
My setup if I didn't have the side gate it's remove the gravely 34 and remove the time master 30 to get to the 52 stand on. Then since most of my yards have like 50ft of frontage I can't just leave them sitting there on the street I have to put them back on the trailer. I can have 3 or 4 front yards knocked out with the 52 in like 14 minutes. It just drives me nuts is all. People complain to me about parking already..... My sanity is worth something to me, especially with parking because I have a short fuse when it comes to people telling me where to park my own truck that I pay to insure. I've told people as soon as you pay my insurance you can tell me where to park. Lol

jonniesmooth

LawnSite Senior Member
My setup if I didn't have the side gate it's remove the gravely 34 and remove the time master 30 to get to the 52 stand on. Then since most of my yards have like 50ft of frontage I can't just leave them sitting there on the street I have to put them back on the trailer. I can have 3 or 4 front yards knocked out with the 52 in like 14 minutes. It just drives me nuts is all. People complain to me about parking already..... My sanity is worth something to me, especially with parking because I have a short fuse when it comes to people telling me where to park my own truck that I pay to insure. I've told people as soon as you pay my insurance you can tell me where to park. Lol
I'm confused. Who's telling you where to park?
Your customers? Or the neighbors?
Do you put out cones in front of your truck and at the rear, designating a work zone?

grass man 11

LawnSite Senior Member
Your wheel hump idea is bad for many reasons. Not meaning to blow your idea away, but it’s bad, don’t do it. Musical mowers are not that bad. You end up starting them
Both up anyways, larger mower does the front yard anyways. Smaller in the back. Multiple people on your team it’s even less of an issue.

to do it, you would add an extra 1000lbs of weight in order to support it, This would decrease payload and fuel mileage. You would raise the center of gravity on the trailer and make it unstable. When you go around a hard turn, you going to put excess stress on the tires and bearings because the outside wheel will have to support more side load force. by Parking them side by side in the middle of the trailer , you will effectively kill any hopes of walking from the rear of the trailer to the front of the trailer for anything like a hand tool or grass catcher, blower or anything else while both mowers are inside.

the walls of the trailers are like paper thin and the “studs” are also thin. They have the most rigidity stuff the very bottom where jointed to other frame members. So your mower moves a little during transport and bows the sides of your trailer out. Even if you beef up the sides with plywood, it’s still being attached to a weaker section of “stud”.

then there is head room, how many times I have hit my head going in and out of a trailer. Your plan is to park 12-14” taller than the floor?

Good luck

jonniesmooth

LawnSite Senior Member
Your wheel hump idea is bad for many reasons. Not meaning to blow your idea away, but it’s bad, don’t do it. Musical mowers are not that bad. You end up starting them
Both up anyways, larger mower does the front yard anyways. Smaller in the back. Multiple people on your team it’s even less of an issue.

to do it, you would add an extra 1000lbs of weight in order to support it, This would decrease payload and fuel mileage. You would raise the center of gravity on the trailer and make it unstable. When you go around a hard turn, you going to put excess stress on the tires and bearings because the outside wheel will have to support more side load force. by Parking them side by side in the middle of the trailer , you will effectively kill any hopes of walking from the rear of the trailer to the front of the trailer for anything like a hand tool or grass catcher, blower or anything else while both mowers are inside.

the walls of the trailers are like paper thin and the “studs” are also thin. They have the most rigidity stuff the very bottom where jointed to other frame members. So your mower moves a little during transport and bows the sides of your trailer out. Even if you beef up the sides with plywood, it’s still being attached to a weaker section of “stud”.

then there is head room, how many times I have hit my head going in and out of a trailer. Your plan is to park 12-14” taller than the floor?

Good luck
I scalped myself on an aluminum drip rail once when I didn't duck enough going in.
Literally had a flap of scalp on the top of my head.
Luckily it was a slow day at the ER, I was in and out in a hour. They glued my flap back down.

OP
R

Ready to Mow

LawnSite Gold Member
You guys are forgetting I'm solo so each mower is suitable for each property. Am I gonna stick the gravely 34 with a mulch kit on an empty lot that only get cut monthly? No i'd have to mow it twice to make it look good. I pull out the 52" stander with a side discharge and I can cut the lot twice before the 34 has even cut it once. Time is money people

grass man 11

LawnSite Senior Member
You guys are forgetting I'm solo so each mower is suitable for each property. Am I gonna stick the gravely 34 with a mulch kit on an empty lot that only get cut monthly? No i'd have to mow it twice to make it look good. I pull out the 52" stander with a side discharge and I can cut the lot twice before the 34 has even cut it once. Time is money people
I don’t get your point.
You put the small mower in the front.
you put the big mower in the back.
If youmart you design the parking “spots”/blocks to fit each mower at any position.

big mower comes off and is used at every property, even if it’s just the front yard. You park it on the curb after mowing the front, then get out the small mower for the back. They both come on and off in that situation regardless of how you park them.

half the time, your going to have back to back yards which both use the small mower. In that case, you park the big one in front and do the reverse process at the next house, saving your more time.

your trying to save what ,10 second x 15 stops per day? And what you would sacrifice is head clearance, extra wear on the axel parts, a less stable trailer with higher center of gravity, risk blowing out your side walls and decreasing fuel mileage. So you save a few mins per day at most, and spend more time at the pump, or a full day replacing bearings on a trailer sooner than you should. Deck over trailers almost all have 14,000 rated axles and tires for a reason.

I would suggest renting a deck-over trailer for a day and seeing if you like how it is before purchasing.

Top Forums