• Thankful For Your Family…. Business?
    Landscaping businesses are often family endeavors. While this can combine the best of both worlds (personal and professional), it isn’t always smooth sailing. Click here to read more.

Enclosed Trailer Make??

Falcon50EX

LawnSite Senior Member
I would like to get an enclosed trailer to operate out of. I was wondering what brand seems to be built better. I will have a 200gal sprayer and spreader most of the time and bags of fert. In the summer I will have a 36 walk behind, edger, blower, trimmer and other hand tools. I would like a tandem axel drop down back door and walk thru right hand side door.
Any input would help

horttenn

LawnSite Member
Most major brands are the same. Just make sure the supports are on 16 in. centers, 7000 # axles, 2 5/16 hitch. I just bought a nice 16 ft. on craigslist for $1800.00. I looked for about 3 months.

jbturf

LawnSite Bronze Member
Falcon, i just picked up my new trailer yesterday
its branded snopro but its made by Alcom, they make a few different brands

i had a snopro b4 this one too, that served me well for 6 seasons

i went with the dexter torsion 5200lb axles on my new one, had 3500lb on my old trailer
and i was at their limit- something to consider as the weight can add up real quick
in our line of work

alcom makes all aluminum trailers, had zero rot on my old trailer and expect the same
outa this new one- something else you should consider as fert is highly corrosive

if you plan on vinyl, smooth screwless exterior is the way to go

g/l

OP
Falcon50EX

Falcon50EX

LawnSite Senior Member
Falcon, i just picked up my new trailer yesterday
its branded snopro but its made by Alcom, they make a few different brands

i had a snopro b4 this one too, that served me well for 6 seasons

i went with the dexter torsion 5200lb axles on my new one, had 3500lb on my old trailer
and i was at their limit- something to consider as the weight can add up real quick
in our line of work

alcom makes all aluminum trailers, had zero rot on my old trailer and expect the same
outa this new one- something else you should consider as fert is highly corrosive

Thanks for info I just arrived in Burlington Ma. I was looking at a Pace

http://www.paceamerican.com/trailers/summit/tag/#specInfo

Models SL714TA2 and SL816TA3

g/l
What was the price and size you do picked up if you do not mind? How have you set them up in the past and now?

James Cormier

LawnSite Bronze Member
I have a pace american 7.5x16 v nose

I use this trailer almost 90% of the time. As you can see I load my pg thru the side door (this year Im using Z-spray and it should also fit) the v-nose door is sometimes used to load the machine.

The back doors are swing out.

I have the pallets of fert loaded in the back. Most of the time I only load one pallet at a time, however I can fit 2 and still have room for the spreader/sprayer in the front.

This trailer is only 2 years old and it seems to be very well made.

Before this I had a Avenger trailer and that seemed to completely fall apart after 5 years.

OP
Falcon50EX

Falcon50EX

LawnSite Senior Member
James, Thanks for the pics. I was thinking about a drop down door in the rear so i could run my mower in and out but with the ramps you have that would work also and I could load a pallet if i ever get that big. Do you have 5000 or 3500 lbs axles? Do you just pull your spray rig in and out from the back and what size is it. Can you run a 200Gal rig out the front door or would that be to much weight on the tong. Do you like the flat front or V nose i guess each has it advantages. :usflag:

More important than brand is construction.
I have a 14' enclosed, I believe the brand is Cargo - and until I rebuilt the frame it was an absolute piece of crap.
I paid $2,500 when it was about two weeks old. Then the floor started sagging - found out the stringers were open channel sub-gauge metal. The frame underneath out to the coupler was equally weak.
Thank goodness my best friend is a structural welder as he rebuilt from the coupler to the shackles and I rigged additional stringers. Lined the trailer with 20 gauge metal, made my racks out of steel and installed a max air vent.
Now it's sweet and will haul anything I can put in it.
Trailers a bunch better too, at eighty it follows along like a docile dog, not at all like my ex-wife - she was more like a rabid pitbull.
Best part is - it's for sale.
You want pictures just pm me.

OP
Falcon50EX

Falcon50EX

LawnSite Senior Member
How do you guys in MA take this cold weather all the time? Snow is ever where and the wind just cuts you in half. I would say the country side coming into Burlington, Ma was very nice rolling hills. I am off to Maine in the morning.

Thanks again for the info:usflag:

OP
Falcon50EX

Falcon50EX

LawnSite Senior Member
More important than brand is construction.
I have a 14' enclosed, I believe the brand is Cargo - and until I rebuilt the frame it was an absolute piece of crap.
I paid $2,500 when it was about two weeks old. Then the floor started sagging - found out the stringers were open channel sub-gauge metal. The frame underneath out to the coupler was equally weak.
Thank goodness my best friend is a structural welder as he rebuilt from the coupler to the shackles and I rigged additional stringers. Lined the trailer with 20 gauge metal, made my racks out of steel and installed a max air vent.
Now it's sweet and will haul anything I can put in it.
Trailers a bunch better too, at eighty it follows along like a docile dog, not at all like my ex-wife - she was more like a rabid pitbull.
Best part is - it's for sale.
You want pictures just pm me.
send pics to RScogin@aflac.com price and location i am in Ma and Mi for the weekend

James Cormier

LawnSite Bronze Member