1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns in the Franchising forum plus sign up to receive a FREE eBook on how to grow your landscape business.

Dismiss Notice

Enclosed Trailer Question

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by Green Team Landscaping, Jun 22, 2008.

1. Green Team Landscaping

Green Team Landscaping LawnSite Bronze Member

When I can drive, I want to get a used enclosed trailer(aprox. 16') for both of my mowers. My other option would be to stick with my Dad's 6x8? I think, which is open, and it can only fit one mower at a time. This would mean that i have to swap out mowers because different ones call for different mowers. What would you do, and can a F150 V8 pull that? BTW: I havent bought a truck yet, but thats what I'm looking at.

2. cooperlandscaping

cooperlandscaping LawnSite Member
    from NE ohio

I went with a 16' enclosed trailer for my company. I love it!!! Everything stays dry and out of the weather and also less likley to get stuff stolen. The f-150 with a v8 will pull it,I pull mine with 2 dodge rams both 1500's one has a 5.9 and the other is a 5.7.

3. Green Team Landscaping

Thanks man. 1 question...why dodge? Just curious why people drive what they drive and as to what i should get for highschool. Definately not a chevy 1500. they're too low to the ground. I want a truck that sits up high.

4. cooperlandscaping

from NE ohio

I have always like the style of dodge. But depending on a few things like money,needs,wants. My next truck will be a f-250 or a ram 2500 or bigger. A half ton will haul the trailer but the rear will sag unless you beef up the rear springs. I have always had quad cabs with 6 foot beds to. My next truck will be a 8 foot bed or 10 foot dump. But take your time and do it right. I am still pretty new to running my own landscape thing.Also another thing is plowing me myself i would never plow with a daily driver. I also cant because i am a cop and always on call. But you might want to.

5. Green Team Landscaping

oh. yeah i dont want a saggy back(thats what she said). would a towing package help?

6. KGR landscapeing

KGR landscapeing LawnSite Bronze Member

run an 04 150 with tow package and plow prep all that good stuff it will pull everything you can throw at it

7. cooperlandscaping

from NE ohio

You can always beef up the rear of the truck i have a lift kit on one of my rams and it helps alot i can pull the trailer and get loaded with mulch in the bed.

8. Green Team Landscaping

nice. thats badass. would a 250 be too much power?

9. KGR landscapeing

KGR landscapeing LawnSite Bronze Member

well i have the 5.4 in the 150 so enless you get the 10cyl theyd be about the same except youd get another[​IMG] 300lbs of GVW to mess with. have pulld skid steer with this truck 20ft open trailer 16ft open trailer 24ft camping trailer plow snow with it all winter