1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation about fertilization strategies for success with the experts at Koch Turf & Ornamental in the Fertilizer Application forum.

Dismiss Notice

Enclosed trailer strong enough to haul skidsteer.

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by Eclipse, Feb 1, 2006.

1. Eclipse

Eclipse LawnSite Bronze Member

I had pretty much given up on finding an enclosed trailer that was rated strong enough to haul a skidsteer. Most manufacturers I checked with said that they did not feel that their HD ramp doors were not strong enough to support the weight of a skidsteer. The main problem was the short wheelbase of the skidsteer and that fact that the entire weight of the skidsteer would be on the ramp at one time.

Anyway, I had pretty much made up my mind to get a Haulmark until today when I stopped at the Interstate dealer. They can build a trailer and ramp strong enough to load a skidsteer into and it does not drive up the cost a ton. The other great thing is that Interstate is having a spring sales promotion so their pricing is extremely competitive.

Anybody want to buy an 18' open equipment trailer.

2. MysticLandscape

MysticLandscape LawnSite Bronze Member

There is a guy down the street from me who hauls his bobcat in an enclosed trailer. He had is specailly ordered from the factory. I have never stopped and looked at it but i could if you want to know the make and model.

3. Eclipse

Does the rear ramp seem to be beat up? I have seen a few local companies haul their skidsteer with their enclosed trailer and their rear ramps are bent and beat up.

4. ToroLandscaper

ToroLandscaper LawnSite Bronze Member

I have a question, i could deal with a beatin up ramp but would the inside of the trailer be ok like would it crack or sag?

5. Eclipse

This Interstate I am looking at has 12" OC floor crossmembers and a double 3/4" plywood floor. They assured me that the trailer would handle my 5500lb skidsteer. With a 3yr warranty they will hear about it if it doesn't.

6. UNISCAPER

UNISCAPER LawnSite Bronze Member

Featherlite makes a trailer heavy enough to haul a skidsteer. All aluminum. The price is an ankle holding adventure.

7. MysticLandscape

I looked at it today, the door looks fine it seals nicely but it was locked so i couldn't inspect it inside and out.

8. Eclipse

Thanks. Did you happen to look at what brand it is?

9. MysticLandscape

It was a haulmark 24 Ft. and i beliveve the axles were 7000 lbs each?