Lawn Care Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm in the market for a zeroturn. Im looking in the 4-5k range. My two closest dealers sell encore and scag. I'm looking into the Encore Fuzion 48 and the Scag Freedom Z 48. I like them because of the fact they both offer a rear bagger option. Either motor Briggs or Kawi kai's which ever i get the better deal on. What do you guys think of these two machine's?

·
Registered
708 Posts
I could be wrong but I believe that both of those machines are homeowner models.

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
go with scag.

if i were you, i would save a little more and get a scag tiger cub. you get what you pay for.

if your gunna fork out 5k for a mower with non-adjustable rops, then get a walkbehind. you'll be much better off. especially if your just starting out.

thats what i used to have. a toro 52" walkbehind.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I got the money to buy the cub but thats a lot of money for a 15 year old to be dishing out on a mower ya know? They are considered Homeowner-Medium commercial which and im in the medium. I don't need the rops and i don't wanna walk anymore its getting old and if i got the money i might as well ride.

·
Banned
7,474 Posts
I can't speak for the Encore but I did use a Freedom Z for a week. I felt it cut great and will leave a nice stripe. The only downside on the Scag is they don't offer a power assist bagger so it will most likely clog up on you in thick or wet grass. Other then that, it was a nice mower.

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
One of the LCO's that i talk has used a scag freedom Z commercialy for a year and a half now and it puts down a real nice cut & is a reliable mower even if it is a resi model, but the only real issue he said that he's had with it was the smaller rear tires are more rounded on top & slip when he's mowing on the side of a hill. He said he has fixed the problem since then by buying a wider flatter topped tire for more grip. But other then that the mower is pushing 2,000hrs with no major problems.:drinkup: Good luck!

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yeah the encore doesn't have a power assist bagger either. The only reason im leaning towards the enc is because i know the guy that runs the dealership and he said he'll consider me homeowner even though im not so its a way better route because idk what the scag dealer will consider me. Lawnshark.... he could have just lowered the tire pressure...wouldn't have costed him a thing. I'm mostly on fescue over here in northern ohio one of my lawns for next year will have kentucky blue but thats it.

·
Banned
7,474 Posts
I would get the Scag. The dealer is just trying work with you to get the sale most likely. If you have any intentions on doing leaf clean up, you might want to consider a Tiger Cub with a power assist bagger. Yeah it will cost more but you'll have the ability to clean up leaves in the fall as well as collect grass at a given property. I bought the bagger kit for mine and only used it to try it out. It works great and now I feel I can do leaf removal with ease. The bagger doesn't leave anything behind and cleans the lawn very well.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
No he's my friends cousin so he's not bs ing me. I'm going sometime this week to pick up a belt for my uncle's encore extreme zx52 so i'll get some prices then.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Got the prices encore z fuzion 34 briggs-3799
34 Kawi-4269
Twin bagger-778

·
Registered
708 Posts
Either Scag or Exmark are the #1 or #2 selling mowers in most markets in the USA. There are reasons for this.Encore might build a good mower but why aren't they more popular? Go with the Scag,you won't regret it.
Because people that bash them for stupid little things or have had a few issues disscourage people from buying them, plus I still consider Encore to be a fairly small company compared to Scag and Exmark. Im not saying that there is anything wrong with the scag just demo both and see which one you like best, either one will probably give you the same life span.

·
Registered
551 Posts
There are more Encore walk behinds here in SW Mo then Exmark and scag combined! And 99% of those are hydro! In the riders Encore is more popular at least what I see running around than Exmark. Scag is pretty popular too however.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.