1. Can’t make it to the GIE+EXPO 2017?
    LawnSite brings the trade show floor to your fingertips with our new GIE+EXPO 2017 Sneak Peek video series debuting now in the Lawn Mowing forum.

Dismiss Notice

Encore Hydro Walk Mowers

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by lawnman, Jan 7, 2000.

1. lawnman

lawnman LawnSite Member

I am looking to buy a new 52&quot; mower in the Spring and I would like to know about the reliability, do they stripe nice and how well do they bag. I can get one for about $1000 less than a Scag Mower and the dealer is very accomodating to the needs of a small business as I am. Any suggestions or comments?????<p>----------<br>spreble<br>

2. jsteveharris

jsteveharris LawnSite Member

I used a 60&quot; Encore WB and it scalped terribly, I was trying it out and decided it did not do a good looking job. I just bought a Scag ultimate 48 hydro and it does much better than the encore. I would spend the extra and get the scag. Email me if you have any questions about the scag.<p>----------<br>Steve Harris<br>From The Ground Up Landscaping

3. Lazer

Lazer LawnSite Bronze Member

Spend the extra dough on a Scag. You'll get part of the extra money back when you sell it and the rest of the money back in fewer repairs. <p>There's a reason why the Encore is 1000.00 less. Are you comparing same engine, deck size, (floating deck?) and drive type.<p>I believe having a top dealer to work with is worth a lot. I also have found cutting corners on new equipment purchases is a poor way to boost the long-term bottom line.

4. lawnman

lawnman LawnSite Member

Lazer, I'm comparing it with the same set up and I do beleive the dealer is giving me a good price as he gave me on my Ferris. the Ferris was $6oo cheaper then the other Ferris dealers. I have had problems with the Scag dealer. I have a Turf Tiger and the clutch went on it and it took two weeks to fix it. I myself have always felt Scags were a better quality mower, however, a couple years ago I ran into a lemon the &quot;Turf Runner&quot;. This piece of junk was in the shop more than on the turf.... My wife finally raised such a fuss with the manufacturer that they swapped it for the Tiger which I am pretty satisfied with. This is why I need some input before I shell out any money, I don't want to go through that again and cannot afford to have down time with repairs. Again this dealer is really accomodating and bends over backwards to put me ahead realizing I don't have 15 trucks to pick up the slack. The Ferris is a great machine with excellent stripes, however, the bagging needs critiquing. It doesn't fill the bags no matter what we try.<p>----------<br>spreble<br>

5. Lazer

I hope your dealer gave you a demo to use while yours was in the shop for 2 weeks!<p>I think I'd buy a Ferris before I bought a Encore. Why not try the new Ferris ZTR with the suspension? A lot of guys are buying those. <p>A far as the bagging, why not use a Trac-Vac, too clumsy on a walk-behind? I would fabricate my own hookup for a bagger if needed, before switching mower brands.<p>It sounds like you've got a great dealer and I would buy from him regardless of what brand you'll be using.

6. Retro67

Retro67 Banned

I agree with Lazer. I have a Dual Drive Hydro walk behind by Ferris. You wouldn't be disappointed in the quality. Also been on the IS Ferris. Nice machine.<p>John

7. lawnman

lawnman LawnSite Member

I do have a Trac-vac and it does a nice job but not on hill's.The Ferris I own is also very hard on hands as with the Encore it's like squeezing butter and look's like a good machine as well. the dealer say's it's good mower but I have not talk to any owners of them to back it up. Im also looking at Lesco's. Lazer the dealer would not give me a loaner. They were all out. <p>----------<br>spreble<br>

8. Lazer

Lesco is a reactionary design. They have always been. They offer lawn mowers so they can be full service. I'll buy their Fert/Control Products all day long, but wouldn't touch their mowers. Their machines aren't bad, but they are always 5 years behind everbody else.<p>I'm probably really offending some guys here, but when ExMark, Ferris, Scag, etc. are busting their fanny coming out with new products and innovative designs, why would you buy a machine from somebody's who not cutting edge?<p>Plus many Lesco mowers (i.e. Viper) are built by MTD. (no further comment needed)

9. lawnman

lawnman LawnSite Member

Lazer, I thought Lesco is making the mowers for MTD, and MTD just came out with there mowers this past season??????... There is a lawncare company out our way that has switched to all Lescos mowers and has had good luck with them. Boy if it isn't going to snow this winter, I am tempted to go out and mow mud!!!!!!! Give me something to do! What walk behind mowers do you use?

10. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

If what I heard is true, your both wrong. I heard MTD started making the Lesco Viper and then Lesco built a factory next to MTD and have their own guys assemble them using MTD parts, so Lesco can say they build them. I don't know how true this is. The only difference I can see is Viper has a Kawasaki engine and MTD has a Kohler engine and of course the paint. I did test drive one that a guy I know bought and I won't be switching over to them I know.<p>----------<br>Eric@ELM<br>http://pages.prodigy.net/eric.erickson/index.html