End of Lawn Season Equipment Maintenance

all ferris

LawnSite Bronze Member
My routine for the past 20 years...1:park all equipment in the back of the shop and leave it there until about 2 weeks before mowing starts back up. 2: Then air up tires, charge/jump start, sharpen blades, grease, oil change (only if needed). 3: start mowing and fertilizing. I don't even fuel stabilize. I just try to park them with just a bit a fuel in the tanks.

Has worked for me for years and I have lots of equipment that is old (mowers with 4000 hrs+)
I just re read my post and I guess when you type a colon followed by a "p" it automatically makes a smiley face????

My post should read "1: park all equipment in the back of the shop"

I guess there is a 20 minute time limit to edit posts too???... WHY???

Why all the weird stuff MJD????

Crazy 4 grass

LawnSite Fanatic
I just re read my post and I guess when you type a colon followed by a "p" it automatically makes a smiley face????

My post should read "1: park all equipment in the back of the shop"

I guess there is a 20 minute time limit to edit posts too???... WHY???

Why all the weird stuff MJD????
Yea Im pretty sure we all figured out what you were trying to say already, by the context in which you wrote it.... thanks for the clarification though lol

Crazy 4 grass

LawnSite Fanatic
Crazy - I did a little digging.

Sounds like people have problems with their batteries in the winter, because they already had an unhealthy battery. Because it's unhealthy, extended "sitting" can cause it to freeze - thus making it seem like winter was the cause for the battery going bad. When really, it was already going bad, and winter just expedited its death. A fully charged, healthy battery, is best stored in the cold - even below freezing temps (because a healthy battery will not freeze) and the colder the temps, the smaller the self discharge rate.

As far as concrete and batteries go, according to this link, that was a thing of the past.

Also, unless things have recently changed, I don't think interstate makes any batteries. Johnson Controls makes them and sells them to Interstate (Walmart too - probably why I like my Walmart batteries so much lol). There's something like only 4 or 5 battery manufacturers out there, if I'm not mistaken. Interstate is not one of them.

I had a thought on this as well.

Why are we always told to store spare packs of AA batteries in the freezer? That would lead me to believe cold is good for batteries.

Ai yi yi I'm so confused now...

And the cement floor thing... its just too much to comprehend lol

all ferris

LawnSite Bronze Member
Yea Im pretty sure we all figured out what you were trying to say already, by the context in which you wrote it.... thanks for the clarification though lol
I'm sure most of you did figure it out. However, I've been on this site for almost 20 years now and you used to be able to edit your own posts and there were no automatic smileys....aaahhh...the good old days....none of you guys remember the good old days when Bobby Gedd was around....look it up!

Crazy 4 grass

LawnSite Fanatic
I'm sure most of you did figure it out. However, I've been on this site for almost 20 years now and you used to be able to edit your own posts and there were no automatic smileys....aaahhh...the good old days....none of you guys remember the good old days when Bobby Gedd was around....look it up!
What makes those days better than these days?

Johnny Outside

LawnSite Member
What’s up with the before storage and after storage oil changes? Is following the listed hourly oil changing intervals not good enough?
This was something I read: before storing anything for 60 days or longer, put fresh engine oil and a filter on it. The reason is that old oil has acids and small particles in it, the particles will fall out of suspension and the acids will mix with moisture from storage and attack components.

Hurryupelectric

LawnSite Silver Member
This was something I read: before storing anything for 60 days or longer, put fresh engine oil and a filter on it. The reason is that old oil has acids and small particles in it, the particles will fall out of suspension and the acids will mix with moisture from storage and attack components.
Interesting, I wonder if just starting up our mowers once or twice a month and allowing a couple minutes warm up would be good for topping off the battery, circulating the oil and running the belts and save the time to do everything separately.

Derwood

LawnSite Silver Member
I had a thought on this as well.

Why are we always told to store spare packs of AA batteries in the freezer? That would lead me to believe cold is good for batteries.

Ai yi yi I'm so confused now...

And the cement floor thing... its just too much to comprehend lol
Dude.... WHAT?!?! lolololol AA batteries in the freezer lol!!!??? Are you just trying to confuse this old guy? j/k But I seriously never heard that.

Back in my hardcore fishing days, I was pretty anal about my boats and how they performed, as well as my gear. Most of my friends thought I needed help, and some even put therapists' cards in my mailbox I was so OCD and anal about their care. Back then I had the time and energy to do that. Not so much anymore....

When it came to the batteries, I just read and read and read. While I do not know the folks who turned me on to taking care of them the way I do, I trusted them based on my interactions with them over the many years on their respective sites (much like we all do on this site, I suppose).

In fact, just before I sold my last ChampioN, I was all set to pony up on the Lithiums for my TM (I was running heavier than usual because I had just hung a Verado on the back and they're quite heavy, and the lithiums are super light) until I did the math - and my Walmart batteries, cared for the way I'd been doing it, just seem to keep on kicking, ya know? I just couldn't get the numbers to give me the go ahead.

My current Cobalt 220 doesn't fish at all like my Lunds and ChampioN's did. In fact, it's pretty bad for fishing lol. But it's where my family is at right now. What felt like a sacrifice years ago, just feels right today. I can still put a few packs of perch in the freezer, along with the occasional walleye, here and there, to last me through the year out of my current rig - and that's good enough for me!!!

If you're ever in my area, we can soak some minnas, or drag some homemade harnesses, and kill some Busch lite Apples together - on me!!

Crazy 4 grass

LawnSite Fanatic
What’s up with the before storage and after storage oil changes? Is following the listed hourly oil changing intervals not good enough?
It is my belief thats its the change your oil annually mentality to a certain extent.

Interesting, I wonder if just starting up our mowers once or twice a month and allowing a couple minutes warm up would be good for topping off the battery, circulating the oil and running the belts and save the time to do everything separately.
This is a great idea!

This idea requires dedication, some may or may not be organized or dedicated enough to actually do it. In this case then its a bad idea.

Also everyones storage situation is different. Access and or running equipment may not be feasible.

Top Forums