Endless Solicitation Calls to our Office

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by MiModernLawn, Dec 4, 2017.

1. MiModernLawn

MiModernLawn LawnSite Member

Does anyone else have this problem or found a solution to it? We're on the do not call list but we still average around 10-12 solicitation calls a day. It's really started to get on my nerves now that I'm full time in our office for winter.

About half of these calls are dead calls. When our office manager answers there is nobody there, just a dead line. The other half of the calls ask to speak with the owner and then won't leave a message, just say they'll call back another time.

It's not a massive problem but this has been going on for years and I'm finally starting to get annoyed.

Does anyone else have this issue or found a solution to it?

Thanks

2. Ben Bowen

Ben Bowen LawnSite Bronze Member
    from PNW

May not work for your biz model, but here is what I do:

Our website pushes people to email and contact forms, not phone.
    I make sure to add existing customers to my phone contacts, so I realize when they call.
    All other numbers go to voicemail.
    When a legit potential client leaves a message I call back in minutes.
    All other numbers get blocked.

We are high end residential design-build, so I don't really worry about people not being willing to wait for a response, but I could see that being different with mowing.

TrainingWheels likes this.
  3. Rockchoplawn

Rockchoplawn LawnSite Senior Member

I have the same problem. Once I find out that it's a solicitor, and not a potential customer I SCREAM at them and tell them to NEVER call back or else. This usually does the trick. The worst are the ones like HomeAdvisor where they open with "Hey we are looking for a service provider in ____ is this something you provide?" And then lead you on the call before finally announcing who they really are.

weeze, 13Razorbackfan and greennola like this.
  4. Todd73

Todd73 LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from Florida

This is what I do too. If someone is legit, but is so impatient that they can’t leave a voice mail and wait a few minutes for me to get back to them, then I probably don’t want them anyway. Home Advisor, Yelp, Yellow Pages, all leave voice mails that are never returned.

5. MiModernLawn

MiModernLawn LawnSite Member

our problem is we do chemical lawn tree and shrub care and have a few thousand customers we service over a season unlike mowing or landscaping where a much smaller amount of customers are dealt with every week or one install job could take months. It's impossible to save our customer numbers since we have 3 phone lines for our office and our main line is a landline not a cell phone. We service around 60-100 properties a day and many of those will generate a call for payment or something or other and these damn telemarketers are driving me crazy

6. Mow-Daddy.com

Mow-Daddy.com LawnSite Platinum Member

When I answer those calls,
    It always starts out the same.
    Hi is the owner there ?
    I always respond with: Who is calling ? And what is this in regards to?
    If they don't come clean right away I hang up.
    If they respond and its someone I want to talk to I will say: yes I'm the owner.
    Otherwise I just say we're not interested.

7. JMK26

JMK26 LawnSite Platinum Member
    Male, from Missouri

What's getting more annoying are the companies spoofing local numbers to get you to answer the phone.

They know it's easy to screen 800 numbers so they started spoofing local numbers so you think it's a client and you answer.

I simply ask them "Why would I do business with a company that feels the need to fool me to answer the phone for my business?"

sometimes I yell...othertimes i block the number.

8. Rockchoplawn

Rockchoplawn LawnSite Senior Member

I’m with JMK here... always be professional and courteous to potential customers, but these people are different. Especially companies like HomeAdvisor who actually try and trick you to get you to stay on the line. That’s not ethical sales tactics. So it’s definitely justifiable to not be so courteous to them.

I make some fun out of it and yell at them make it seem like I am super mad... most of the time I’m just more annoyed than mad but if you can scare them off the line it’s less likely they will keep trying. Really gets the point across that you are not interested at all.

tbone1471 likes this.
  9. Charles

Charles Moderator Staff Member

My phone ran out of call blocking room a long time ago. So annoying! Yea the local spoofing number really stinks. The calling from your home number is scary. Who is at my home calling me? Nobody! I think the powers that be could fix this problem. They don't care:realmad:

weeze, greennola and Rockchoplawn like this.
  10. SoCalLandscapeMgmt

SoCalLandscapeMgmt LawnSite Silver Member

Every. Single. Damn. Day. 10 to 12 calls. Most are a dead line by the time I pick up the phone, even after just one ring. Somehow I ended up on some list so I am not also receiving at least 5 calls per day from people wanting to loan me working capital. Anymore when I see a number that is out of the area I just let the auto attendant. My clients all have my extension number so they can get straight through if they need to.