Engine Upgrades on TORO 20" Mower

HondaMan72

LawnSite Member
I have a 2000-2001 Toro GTS XL that I use to mow a few lawns, nothing crazy. However aside from 1 weekly, the rest of the lawns are by call only. So usually when I get there the grass is pretty tall. I do have a side discharge for the mower, however it quickly clogs so I'm sticking to mulching on this model. I've thought about getting a new toro 22" but I'll do that once this one goes. I've brought up the RPM to around 3450 which has helped the self propel speed and overall power. I'm thinking about porting and polishing the head along with boring out the jet slightly to get better power in tall grass. Thoughts?

6 Horsepower 190cc Briggs flathead

edit: It does have e start too, but when I got it, everything was gone besides the starter itself and key, so the whole mower is a project

Attachments

• toro.PNG
    toro.PNG
    171.4 KB · Views: 46
Last edited:

Freaky Fido

LawnSite Bronze Member
Not to be dismissive of your real question, but how about just putting your customers on a regular schedule instead so it's choking on overgrown lawns?

HEMTT

LawnSite Bronze Member
You have a 20 year old mower and you're thinking about porting it it for more power? Those engines won't really respond to head porting, you have a very inefficient design, and stupid low RPM for its size. You really aren't getting any more power out of it unless you increase the compression a great deal and greatly increasing the RPM. Both of these things are likely to turn your lil Brigs into a smoldering firecracker, ready to blow at any time.

OP
H

HondaMan72

LawnSite Member
Not to be dismissive of your real question, but how about just putting your customers on a regular schedule instead so it's choking on overgrown lawns?
When I first started doing lawn care I didn't understand the mowing scheduling, next summer I will be doing weekly/biweekly/triweekly.

OP
H

HondaMan72

LawnSite Member
You have a 20 year old mower and you're thinking about porting it it for more power? Those engines won't really respond to head porting, you have a very inefficient design, and stupid low RPM for its size. You really aren't getting any more power out of it unless you increase the compression a great deal and greatly increasing the RPM. Both of these things are likely to turn your lil Brigs into a smoldering firecracker, ready to blow at any time.
I have a Kawasaki FC150V that I'm going to try and fit onto the Toro Deck, if I can make it work I'll be able to get away from the flathead platform.

RobotAttack

LawnSite Member
Most/all small engines have the same mounting pattern.

Crankshafts differ in length, so the blade may end up higher or lower.

Top Forums