1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns in the Franchising forum plus sign up to receive a FREE eBook on how to grow your landscape business.

Dismiss Notice

enough to make you mad

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by thartz, May 14, 2003.

1. thartz

thartz LawnSite Senior Member

Just got a call from a commercial account.Went out and bought their own shrubs and want me to install.What would you say/do?

2. Grasshog

Grasshog LawnSite Senior Member

Dont bug me at all. I still get to charge labor. I'm just glad they called me. If the shrubs die I get paid again

3. Shuter

Shuter LawnSite Bronze Member

That'a an easy question. Call them back to set a time for planting and charge them an increased labor rate. I have a few homeowners that I do only landscape labor for. I average $35.00 per man per hour for labor to do plantings. It is an easy money maker.

4. thartz

I have a mechanic who is a close friend that says he never installs a part a customer purchases.He won't work for an hourly rate.I honestly have never had this situation arise before.He says I'm nuts to do it because if I do it once they will try this stunt again.He said "do you take a steak to a restuarant and ask them to cook it for you;no"

5. Shuter

Shuter LawnSite Bronze Member

In the construction field labor is a part of business.

6. thartz

ffshutter;Agreed,maybe I'm jumping the gun because I submitted a bid to install the same shrubs 2 weeks ago and they told me I was too high even after giving them a discount for being a yearly maintenance contract.One of their employees who thinks he is a landscaper apparently can't handle the job so they called me as a backup.

7. mowahman

mowahman LawnSite Member

Prices:
    We buy and install plants....$35/hr

You buy and we install plants.....$40/hr

You want us as a "back-up".....$50/hr

You wanna watch and learn......$65/hr.

Dig 'em, bill 'em, enjoy the job....at least they didn't call someone else to bid the install.

8. thartz

Thanks for the replies.It's amazing how offended you can get after a 16 hour day.Thanks for helping me to see straight.

9. longviewlawncare

longviewlawncare LawnSite Senior Member

i have 2 yearly accounts that i do this for. I just add on an additonal fee to the bill for the time involved. I make enough off both these accounts that i do not mind. Everyone else though i normally buy and install/ I had a customer ask be to buy the plants for them to install. I guess they though it would be cheaper cause i get alot bigger discount than a normal person. They learned the hard way cause i mark everythingup. good luck

10. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

we have a policy that we never install shrubs, plants, flowers, etc unless they are from a nursery. We are not going to waste our time, effort, and image and then have all of the products die because they were of poor quality.