Entry level mower

Flinging

LawnSite Member
Looking to get a mower for my son to do some mowing on the side. Probably only 2-3hrs of mowing a week(a lot more weed eating). I’ve been looking at the Hustler XD 54”. I realize it’s a residential unit but that’s basically all it will amount to use wise. Anyone have any experience with this machine or suggest something similar in that price range?

Mikeorl

LawnSite Member
It might also be worth checking out a dealer (toro, exmark, scag, John Deere, etc) and see if they have some used commercial equipment. Maybe also try to build a relationship with them, may help to find the right piece of equipment as well as help with it when it breaks down. And it would help if your son takes it more full time, he would have some support and help from the dealer. My dealer, I’ve been using them since I started; they are really helpful and want me to become the best business I can.

OP
F

Flinging

LawnSite Member
It might also be worth checking out a dealer (toro, exmark, scag, John Deere, etc) and see if they have some used commercial equipment. Maybe also try to build a relationship with them, may help to find the right piece of equipment as well as help with it when it breaks down. And it would help if your son takes it more full time, he would have some support and help from the dealer. My dealer, I’ve been using them since I started; they are really helpful and want me to become the best business I can.
Closest dealer I have is a Spartan dealer. I kind of actually like the Spartan RZ-HD but it’s really more than I’m wanting to spend for as part time as he will be doing it. My son is only 16 and plays baseball so fall and Spring during baseball season he will be very limited on time after school and practice. Summer time he could go wide open but I don’t want him committing to only doing them during the summer months and making them find someone else during the other months.

Mikeorl

LawnSite Member
Closest dealer I have is a Spartan dealer. I kind of actually like the Spartan RZ-HD but it’s really more than I’m wanting to spend for as part time as he will be doing it. My son is only 16 and plays baseball so fall and Spring during baseball season he will be very limited on time after school and practice. Summer time he could go wide open but I don’t want him committing to only doing them during the summer months and making them find someone else during the other months.
Makes sense.

Jashley73

LawnSite Member
The answer to this question is always a used Scag, eXmark, John Deere, or other high-end, name-brand commercial mower...

Why anyone other than a long-established business would buy a new commercial quality mower is beyond me. Used commercial mowers are so cheap - often cheaper that new "residential" mowers, and they still have tons of life left in them.

oqueoque

LawnSite Fanatic
How big are the lawns and do you have to transport the mower and bag them and dispose of the clippings? The 21" Honda mulches very well.

If you are going to buy a commercial mower used should be your best route, but with a 21" Honda new is probably better since they are not designed to be used 40 hours a week. they should last about 1,000 hours and do have a warranty.

Youngandfree

LawnSite Fanatic
I had a Hustler Raptor. It had clutch issues from 30hrs on. I replaced the wiring pigtail to the clutch multiple times. Finally replaced the clutch around 150 hiurs, then sold the mower to my brother for his new house. He used it 3 times and the clutch went out again. The new clutch hsd about 10-20 hrs on it and tested 0 ohms. So when he pulled it off to send it back, it had grenaded and pieces fell out.

I'd avoid low end Hustlers based on my experince.

Top Forums