Entry level stump grinder

Discussion in 'Florida Lawn Care Forum' started by dkflipse, Oct 10, 2019.

1. dkflipse

dkflipse LawnSite Member

Hi guys. I'm looking to purchase an entry level stump grinder. Fur stumps 24" or less in diameter. Any big boys I'll sub out.

Right now I've seen and read about the Powerking (sold by Home Depot) and the DR one. Anyone have any first hand feedback on these or others? If you go by internet reviews theyre all awesome!

Thanks in advance.
    DKF

2. Mac-s Lawn & Snow

Mac-s Lawn & Snow LawnSite Senior Member

I had a guy doing small stumps for me and he had 2 DR's. They are good machines. They are no fun to run and he had a $60 minimun charge so I would have him do stumps under 20 inches for me.

3. kemco

kemco LawnSite Silver Member

I rented the HD machine once for one customer prior to sodding a yard to grind down about a 24" stump about 6" high. Never again. Northern Tool has a few might want to check those out.

4. knox gsl

knox gsl LawnSite Fanatic

I wouldn't go any smaller than the Toro stump grinder. It'll go anywhere and can handle small to medium stumps easily. If you can't afford it. Sell 4 or 5 jobs then go rent one for the day.

5. caseysmowing

caseysmowing LawnSite Silver Member

I rented the toro one the other day and was very impressed for a smaller gas powered machine. I also wouldn’t want anything smaller than it.

6. OP
    OP
    dkflipse

dkflipse LawnSite Member

Do you recall the hp? 9 or 13 its a big price difference.

7. OP
    OP
    dkflipse

dkflipse LawnSite Member

Thanks for the info. Yeah I'm thinking in the entry level Toro range. Nothing smaller. I just called my Toro rep. A smaller one goes for 2,100 and a 13hp for $4,500 roughly. That's ahuge difference in price.

8. caseysmowing

caseysmowing LawnSite Silver Member

I think it was 26 Kawasaki track driven unit.

9. Klaiber's Klearing LLC.

Klaiber's Klearing LLC. LawnSite Member

Hey DKF, I rented the Toro 13 HP stump grinder for 4 hours last weekend and was able to knock out 4 <6" stumps and 2 ~12" stumps. My shoulders were definitely sore the next day but I was very surprised with how easily it handled what I threw at it. Search around on CL, I saw a few of the 13HP varieties for under $2k in my area of SE PA.

10. ShowCaseLawnCare

ShowCaseLawnCare LawnSite Senior Member

62CCD53B-5CF5-41DF-859E-4C1EDFA4FC80.jpeg You need the chainsaw stump grinder