Lawn Care Forum banner

Equipment Advice Needed

3K views 12 replies 5 participants last post by  gcbailey 
#1 ·
Me and my partner have been running 21" push mowers for the past two years on residential sized lawns. We are in great need of a larger deck mower that can improve efficiency. 21"s are just too slow on most of our lawns.

I've done some reading on the topic, and the general consensus seems to be that a 36" WB is the backbone mower of most commercial companies.

We are two 19 years old in our second year of business trying to expand. If any of the experienced members here could give me some valuable insight on what we should do I'd be very thankful.

We are looking to buy a real backbone mower here, (used or new), to cut as much grass as possible, and we are hoping to spend no more than 5000. Should we go WB? ZTR? Also, what is better: open or closed trailers.

Thanks guys.

#2 ·
I've got a 36" Turftracer but I wouldn't call it the backbone mower. Its great on small properties and fenced areas but my 52" turftracer will cut 3 times as fast. It will be much more productive than a 21" mower for sure. As far as trailers go that is very hard to answer without knowing your business setup. I personally use a 6 x 16 open trailer but would like to get another 7 x 14 enclosed to mow out of and use my open for landscaping work.

#4 ·
I've got a 36" Turftracer but I wouldn't call it the backbone mower. Its great on small properties and fenced areas but my 52" turftracer will cut 3 times as fast. It will be much more productive than a 21" mower for sure. As far as trailers go that is very hard to answer without knowing your business setup. I personally use a 6 x 16 open trailer but would like to get another 7 x 14 enclosed to mow out of and use my open for landscaping work.
Well knowing we only own two 21 inch mowers for cutting purposes, what size deck and orientation (WB ZTR) would be best for us? why? As far as trailer advice goes we are 90% lawncare with various side jobs making up the other 10%

#5 ·
on one trailer for our "smaller" residential stuff it is a 5x12 (modified) that normally has a 36" metro and a couple honda 21" push mowers. The metro is an older model, belt driven w/ single wheel sulky. The guy that uses it is around 5'10" 160ish so he's no load on it, you can cut a good bit of grass with a 36". It's real nice when you have some properties side by side that are cut up with landscaping where a ztr or larger walk behind won't fit.

Besides the push mowers what else are you carrying, that would help determine a trailer. We have a 5x12 single axle, 6x14 dual, and 7x18 w/2' dove tail. The 5x12 and 6x14 have 2' mesh sides with front baskets and trimmer traps. They have worked well for many years. The larger trailer is just for the scut to be hauled around on. I would recommend a dual axle trailer with brakes on at least 1 axle. Our single axle is balanced really well, but it's a real tight fit to get a 54" ztr and a 36" walk behind on at the same time, plus with both on it likes to wag a little at interstate speeds, hence it's relegated to local residential.

#6 ·
on one trailer for our "smaller" residential stuff it is a 5x12 (modified) that normally has a 36" metro and a couple honda 21" push mowers. The metro is an older model, belt driven w/ single wheel sulky. The guy that uses it is around 5'10" 160ish so he's no load on it, you can cut a good bit of grass with a 36". It's real nice when you have some properties side by side that are cut up with landscaping where a ztr or larger walk behind won't fit.

Besides the push mowers what else are you carrying, that would help determine a trailer. We have a 5x12 single axle, 6x14 dual, and 7x18 w/2' dove tail. The 5x12 and 6x14 have 2' mesh sides with front baskets and trimmer traps. They have worked well for many years. The larger trailer is just for the scut to be hauled around on. I would recommend a dual axle trailer with brakes on at least 1 axle. Our single axle is balanced really well, but it's a real tight fit to get a 54" ztr and a 36" walk behind on at the same time, plus with both on it likes to wag a little at interstate speeds, hence it's relegated to local residential.
We are carrying two 21" push mowers with bags, a stihl FS 55R trimmer, and an ECHO PB-500T blower along with two gas cans. I think we can figure out the proper size, but if you could throw the advantages of open vs closed trailers at me that would be excellent.

Thanks

#7 ·
If your going to stay on small stuff get a 48 or 52 if you plane to grow and cut larger lawns 60 all day ! I'm a diehard tracer fan great mowers have 5 of them we have 2 lazers there good on big open stuff we got 2 toro grandstands I hated them at first I now lovvvve them at 5k you will have to buy used or a trade in go out and demo some I fell you will want to stay with toro or exmark for the best cut . Good luck guys work hard and don't listen to all the other guys crap talk bid far and don't lowball:)

#8 ·
For your size you could use a inclosed trailer as your shop lock it up at nite and just un hook your truck stuff stays dry and safe. We run all 20 foot open trailers and one inclosed for fert and pruning .

#9 ·
We are carrying two 21" push mowers with bags, a stihl FS 55R trimmer, and an ECHO PB-500T blower along with two gas cans. I think we can figure out the proper size, but if you could throw the advantages of open vs closed trailers at me that would be excellent.

Thanks
open vs. closed....

well I don't have a closed, but with a closed you can basically keep it loaded all the time, unless you have a shop to keep your trailer in loaded.

open trailers you can "modify" down the road if you know a welder/fabricator to meet your needs. (add length, axle, baskets, mounts...). With a closed you have to live within your walls.

Closed trailer can be a rolling billboard. Open trailers are usually cheaper and depending on brand built with heavier gauge material for the frame (again, depends on brand).

I know a company who has a massive closed trailer, like 24'. It's basically a shop on wheels.

What are you going to be pulling the trailer with? I know a lot of guys only use 1/2 ton trucks, but if you're going to be in the dual axle category, open or closed, I would recommend a 3/4 ton+ truck with brake controller.

#10 ·
open vs. closed....

well I don't have a closed, but with a closed you can basically keep it loaded all the time, unless you have a shop to keep your trailer in loaded.

open trailers you can "modify" down the road if you know a welder/fabricator to meet your needs. (add length, axle, baskets, mounts...). With a closed you have to live within your walls.

Closed trailer can be a rolling billboard. Open trailers are usually cheaper and depending on brand built with heavier gauge material for the frame (again, depends on brand).

I know a company who has a massive closed trailer, like 24'. It's basically a shop on wheels.

What are you going to be pulling the trailer with? I know a lot of guys only use 1/2 ton trucks, but if you're going to be in the dual axle category, open or closed, I would recommend a 3/4 ton+ truck with brake controller.
Currently we are using a V6 ford ranger.

#11 ·
well.... no offense, but I don't think the ranger will do much more than something like a 5x10 open trailer without putting a lot of unneeded stress on the brakes, rotors, transmission.... but that's just my opinion.

A 5x10 you should easily get a 36" and couple 21" mowers and put a trimmer rack and basket on the front for gas cans.

#12 ·
well.... no offense, but I don't think the ranger will do much more than something like a 5x10 open trailer without putting a lot of unneeded stress on the brakes, rotors, transmission.... but that's just my opinion.

A 5x10 you should easily get a 36" and couple 21" mowers and put a trimmer rack and basket on the front for gas cans.
No offense taken, I'm more than thankful for the advice.

#13 ·
the reason I say 5' wide instead of 6' wide is because of the narrower width of the ranger, around here the roads are very curvy and it's easy to drop a trailer off the shoulder into a ditch... if you're pulling a trailer that could be wider than your vehicle that's something else you have to always take into account, the truck might be on the road, but the trailer falls off, busts a tire, spills your load.....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.