1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns in the Franchising forum plus sign up to receive a FREE eBook on how to grow your landscape business.

Dismiss Notice

Equipment break down week.

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by BSDeality, Jun 7, 2003.

1. BSDeality

BSDeality LawnSite Silver Member

Well, it seems like every piece of my equipment broke down in the week.

I was mowing my last lot last week when it got stuck in gear and i had to kick it (kicking myself now) to get it out of gear. Seems i mushed something up in the transmission. All the gears shifted to the left a bit, and i don't have reverse. now I've gotta get it rebuilt, buy a new one or scrap the mower :( I still can't believe i was so stupid as to kick the gear selecter with my foot. It was the last job on a hot day though.

Then today i went to start trimming and my trimmer kept advancing the line, it seems the last person (neighbor) to use it lost the tension spring on the bump head. So i went through about 30' of trim string today.

Tonight on the way home from cruising around town in old '79 Jeep CJ7 which is my work vehicle until i buy myself a diesel truck. It was running a little rich and kept intermitedly dieing out on me. then all of a sudden the loudest thing i've ever heard explodes under my ***. If i wasn't wearing a seat belt i think i would have jumped out of it. i decided to cut my losses and just call a friend to give me a tow. I get home and investigate the mysterious explosion, and it turns out my muffler BLEW UP, like there was a freaking stick of dynamite in it. I guess i had a backfire and since it was running so rich it just blew out the muffler.

I can probably fix the jeep, but i think i'm going to have to get dealer work done on my walk behind :blob2:

However, on a good note, i picked up a Echo BP-750T backpack blower today, its my first BP blower, and I have definitely been missing out! this thing blows rocks around!

Just had to vent some of my frustrations with my equipment that i had today, and share my joy of the new BP blower.

One piece of advice to new(er) people in the business: Don't kick the gear selecter when its jammed in gear!

2. lawnrangers

lawnrangers LawnSite Member

just hang in there,it will get better

3. ffemt1271

ffemt1271 LawnSite Bronze Member

if it is a gear drive you can get a complete transmission from www.mowmore.com . the price ranges are from $174.99 to $204.99--sure that would be a lot cheaper than a dealer repair bill and you would have a completely new transmission.:)

4. bob

bob LawnSite Platinum Member
    from DE

NEVER lend your lawn equipment to friends or neighbors.

5. BSDeality

BSDeality LawnSite Silver Member

Awesome ffemt1271! i have to double check my model number on the transmission, but i think i see it in there.