1. Can’t make it to the GIE+EXPO 2017?
    LawnSite brings the trade show floor to your fingertips with our new GIE+EXPO 2017 Sneak Peek video series debuting now in the Lawn Mowing forum.

Dismiss Notice

Equipment for Leveling Yard

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by joallen001, Feb 23, 2006.

1. joallen001

joallen001 LawnSite Member
    from TN

I have a customer who wants her yard leveled and seeded. My question is what type of equipment do you recommend for leveling the yard. The soil is mainly clay and has quite a few rocks in it. Definately gonna need some lime on it. I can rent a bobcat with the rake on front for $200 a day. Would this be the best thing to use or should I just use a tractor with a boxblade and scoop on it? Any suggestions are appreciated?

2. procut

procut LawnSite Bronze Member

No personal expirience with one, but I've hear a ton of people say how great harley rakes are. Maybe something to look into.

3. baddboygeorge

baddboygeorge LawnSite Bronze Member

well if ya got clay you will need to bring in some topsoil for a good seed base. i dont know the present conditions of lawn but if i was doing it i would cover clay with about a 3 inch topsoil base an spread with either skidloader or tractor .harleyrake is a great feature but i would not mix the clay with the topsoil an if ya use the harley rake it will be very hard to keep that from happening. after i have done my grade work seed well, straw, an roll.minimum 3 grand for this type of job!! see ya george

4. just Cuts

just Cuts LawnSite Member
    from NJ

Kubota with harley power box rake on back.

5. joallen001

from TN

this customer is definately not gonna pay 3k for it

6. just Cuts

from NJ

around here you can rent kubota with the harley rake and trailer for 400.00 a day,a few ton of soil say 75.00,seed 150.00 ,add labor no where near 3,000.

7. joallen001

from TN

the yard is right at an acre, how long should I expect it to take with a skidsteer and the rake on front

8. just Cuts

from NJ

With a harley power box and tractor I'd say 4 hours.With a skid steer it's going to take longer because every time you turn your going to make ruts.

9. joallen001

from TN

Do you think that rake on the bobcat will mount up to a tractor also

10. just Cuts

from NJ

you can get a harley power box rake on a bobcat.you will just have to rake out the ruts from turning.The trailer I was referring to before was to haul tractor.