• Thankful For Your Family…. Business?
    Landscaping businesses are often family endeavors. While this can combine the best of both worlds (personal and professional), it isn’t always smooth sailing. Click here to read more.

Equipment help/advice

olcllc

LawnSite Member
Hello folks, first time poster... long time reader.

I'm beginning my fifth year in business and will start this season promoting a full service program of fertilization/pest control for turf and ornamentals. Yes, I am a licensed applicator.

In the past, I focused on just the mechanical portion of lawn maintenance and not the chemical. However, with many of my clients thoroughly displeased with the only option in my location "tru-green". I have decided to break into the market with my current clients and then whatever the market demands.

I have a skid sprayer and really like all the mobile broadcast spreaders out there on the market but can't justify the purchase of one just yet.

I have found a broadcast spreader the attaches to your zero turn mower and would like feedback from you folks. Pros/cons, likes/dislikes, potential problems and just overall thoughts on why or why not purchase.

Check out the web site below and let me know your thoughts.

http://www.countryztr.com/

poopspreader

LawnSite Member
:walking:you need to flier, flier, flier. pick an area and walk and price and flier. you"ll be amazed how many calls you get. But im talking thousands of fliers and miles walked and you will get about a 2% response. Referels work best. But other than that fliers are cheap and effective.

grassman177

LawnSite Fanatic
very interesting concept of a spreader. you will need a push spreader though as well for small areas and fenced in areas

about the only thing i like about that spreader is the frame that holds the hopper. driveing by ground speed is not a good idea imo as it will vary too much and directly affect pattern. that would be ok on a small push spreader, but that is a much bigger area.

and really, a cloth hopper. bad idea.

i think i would look for a used jrco brand b4 buying that. too bad we soldours this last fall, or i could have offered you a nice deal on one. i am sure they have plenty for sale if you search for them, and place a WTB ad here int he marketplace.

just my thoughts, and good luck!!!

OP
olcllc

olcllc

LawnSite Member
very interesting concept of a spreader. you will need a push spreader though as well for small areas and fenced in areas

about the only thing i like about that spreader is the frame that holds the hopper. driveing by ground speed is not a good idea imo as it will vary too much and directly affect pattern. that would be ok on a small push spreader, but that is a much bigger area.

and really, a cloth hopper. bad idea.

i think i would look for a used jrco brand b4 buying that. too bad we soldours this last fall, or i could have offered you a nice deal on one. i am sure they have plenty for sale if you search for them, and place a WTB ad here int he marketplace.

just my thoughts, and good luck!!!
That was my first thought... how do you control the application rate when your speed will vary. How do open and close the hopper on the go so you don't have spills and burn spots. Otherwise, as an entry model I think it's a good concept.

I've been overseeding and spreading fertlizer with an earthway push behind since i've been in business. Just think I will need somthing more productive and less exhaustive than a push behind. I've looked at the JRCO but it did'nt look to be built well.

Young Bros

LawnSite Senior Member
I say get a Spyker.

grassman177

LawnSite Fanatic
the jrco was really pretty good, especially the newer models. but we sold them as we got zsprays and now dont have to rust out our mowers!