Equipment needed?

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by Terra-Turf, May 6, 2005.

  1. Terra-Turf

    Terra-Turf LawnSite Member
    Messages: 22


    I’m thinking about adding herbicide, pesticide, and fertilizer application to the list of services my company provides. I have ordered the training material and set aside time to study and take the required exams to get my license. I also understand that I will need to purchase insurance before I will be able to get the license. One thing which has me confused is the type of equipment required to provide these services. I really don’t know if a pull behind spray boom is needed, or if a single spray arm is sufficient. Some of the spray rigs I have seen on this site just have a large spool of hose and a spray wand mounted in a truck; others have rigs which attach to a ZTR mower and have both fold out spray booms, as well as spray wands. Any advice about what tools are necessary to make a good start in this aspect of the lawn care business would be greatly appreciated.



    A.K.A. Terra-Turf Lawn Care
  2. DLS1

    DLS1 LawnSite Bronze Member
    Messages: 1,619

    Lesco or other good spreader and a backpack sprayer for spot spraying weeds. Start off only picking up yards that don't have much weeds. This is a cheap way to go until you outgrow the backpack/spreader and then you could get more expensive items later if needed.
  3. nelbuts

    nelbuts LawnSite Bronze Member
    from SW, FL
    Messages: 1,053

    First what are you going to be spraying?

    If residental lawns only then I would suggest a 200 gallon tank with a 25 gallon drop. You can use the drop for your mix and the big tank for your clean water. If you are going to spray shrubs too then you might want to think of two 25 gallon drops. One for turf and one for shrubs only.

    I have a 200 gallon split tank and spray my mix from one 100 gallon section. I have a 16 gallon sprayer with a sureflow pump for the shrubs.
  4. Terra-Turf

    Terra-Turf LawnSite Member
    Messages: 22

    I’m going to start out doing residential work and eventually rack up some commercial jobs. Many of the commercial jobs I have looked into bidding would require the winning bidder to have a commercial sprayer license. Since I have started preparing to take the exam and talking with customers about it I have noticed there are many opportunities for this type of service on residential properties as well.

    Its hard to answer the question “What will I be spraying” because at this point in time I don’t have any accounts set up. My original goal was to get my license so I would be able to bid on a local cemetery. If I had been able to get the bid all that I would have needed is a backpack to spray roundup around the headstones. Now that I have noticed the residential opportunities I have shifted gears a bit and started looking at various types of spray equipment.

    With a mower it’s easy to see why the bigger the deck the quicker a lawn can be mowed. I don’t have a clue when it comes to sprayers and what makes them more productive. Does a skid sprayer simply speed the application up or is there more to it than that? How would a skid sprayer compare to a pull behind with a 6 foot fold up boom? What would be the reason for needing both or for switching between boom or Skid sprayer?

    Nelbuts is a “25 gallon drop” a boom sprayer?

    Sorry about the stupid questions but this forum is my best chance of getting some answers.


  5. nelbuts

    nelbuts LawnSite Bronze Member
    from SW, FL
    Messages: 1,053

    Wll before you get equipment might want to get that license. A drop tank is a seperate tank that you use for your mixed product. It fills from a tank on your truck. For instance my rig is a split 200. Which means it has to completely seprate but built in 100 gal. tanks. Two seprate fill wells. I can spray from either and I can transfer liquid from one tank to the other. What I do is use one tank for clean fresh water (no chems.) The other is my mix tank. When the mix tank is empty I transfer clean water to that tank and then spray from the mix tank.

    Now the drop tank is a completely seprate tank that I can pump clean water into from the other tank. I use this one for my shrubs only.

    So if you are really confused now do this. Draw a square, then draw a line and split it in half. That is the 200 gallon split. Now draw a small square and that is the drop right beside it.

    May will buy a large 200 gallon tank for fresh water and then pump into a 50 gallon drop.

    I only use the drop when I am sraying weed control out of the larger tank. The rest of the time I just attach it to a mower and spray shrubs that way.

    Booms are ok for large areas that are wide open. But if you are going around a lot of trees and beds then you can miss areas. The Perma Green set up with the spreader and sprayer looks ok but it cost almost as much as two spray rigs.

    Just finished spraying 87,500 sq.ft. this morning and there were several areas I would not take a boom or a Perma Green on as they were just too steep.

    Hope this helps.

Share This Page