Equipment photos

Discussion in 'Original Pictures Forum' started by etwman, Dec 20, 2002.

1. Shorelandscaper

Shorelandscaper LawnSite Senior Member
    from MD

Feel your pain on the space. I have turned the house into climate controlled storage for materials. Wife on the verge of homicide lol. Looking forward to seeing glimpses of the new shop

RussellB and hort101 like this.
  2. brichter14

brichter14 LawnSite Bronze Member

So you buy these trucks used and outfit them? You have a ballpark cost of doing this?

3. OP
    OP
    etwman

etwman LawnSite Bronze Member

The last two Freightliners have been new. The previous one have all been used. I’d rather not get into pricing online.

hort101 likes this.
  4. PLLandscape

PLLandscape LawnSite Bronze Member

I'm not ETWman but I have been looking into this type of truck, used.

Truck - $20K+ for a nice 150kmi truck chassis / $13-$15K for a 200+k/mi truck
    Switch N Go - ~$20K (quotes from dealers)
    Custom storage box (if you want it) - $5-8K
    All the other misc stuff - $5k
    Painting, Logos, wraps..........

So it could get into the $50-$60K range quick.

New truck, add the price of the new truck vs used. Gives you a roundabout figure.

5. knox gsl

knox gsl LawnSite Fanatic

What's the lifespan of the vinyl and extra storage boxes in the rust belt? These would be something to consider with new or used chassis.

6. PLLandscape

I'm not doing the truck as its just way too much for me right now. But if I did, that truck wouldn't see a salty road unless it was some late spring snow or fall snow.

Plus that's what fluid film is for.

Winter work vehicles have a definite shelf life. That's why I hope to grow without ever needing snow work.

hort101 likes this.
  7. Triple L

Triple L LawnSite Senior Member

I would imagine etwmans Eby toolboxes were much more then 5-8k, I'd imagine atleaat 10 if not 12... Also add in shortening wheelbase and driveshaft to most trucks, central hydraulics?

Good question, does etwman use electric switch and go or hydraulic?

8. PLLandscape

Right. My point being they’re expensive.

9. OP
    OP
    etwman

etwman LawnSite Bronze Member

The first trucks were electric setups, the last ones are hydraulic. In my opinion hydraulic is the way to go, but you’ll have to put a PTO on your truck.

You’ll be tight to do a used truck setup for $50-$60k. Maybe 10 years ago.

Our Freightliners never go on salty roads. They are bunkered down inside when the snow flies.

PLLandscape and hort101 like this.
  10. BrandonV

BrandonV LawnSite Fanatic

If you have a moment, i'm looking at getting another medium duty truck w/ a switch n go. The past two we've had are the biggest electric units. Love them to death but was wanting this next one to replace our single axle dump that we typically load down with 7-8 tons of gravel/soil etc. Our electric SNG will sometimes really struggle w/ 7 tons especially when the quarry loads forward. Do you find the hydro units are a bit stonier in reality? They're rated the same but ratings are just on a sheet of paper and sometimes are worth as much. Have never gotten first hand experience w/ a hyd unit and there aren't many around here.