1. Is Landscaping An “Essential Business” In Your Region?
    Read the timely article from Turf addressing this question. Click here to learn more.

COVID-19 Safety Procedures For Landscapers
    As you are working out in the field, maximize safety for you, your crews, and customers. Click here to learn more.

Dismiss Notice

Equipment photos

Discussion in 'Original Pictures Forum' started by etwman, Dec 20, 2002.

1. Groomer

Groomer LawnSite Silver Member

2. Green Mentorship

Green Mentorship LawnSite Senior Member
    from Heaven

That book was transformative for us too!

3. OP
    OP
    etwman

etwman LawnSite Bronze Member

Well, like many of you out there, its been a very stressful week as a business owner and employee. I think this has been one of the most challenging weeks in business I have had in 20 years. As leaders, we like to know how to plan, get the right people and execute. This is a moving target right now. I wish I had the silver bullet to give you all a great piece of advice and make you sleep better, but unfortunately I can’t.

Cash reserves will be king. This isn’t going away in 2 weeks. I honestly believe this will be a 3-6 month thing and restrictions for work will get tighter.

Here’s an excerpt from my friend Chuck Bentley that I think captures it really well:

It boils down to three scenarios:

A. Best Case - within 45 days good news regarding the containment of the virus (which could come in a variety of ways- Covid 19 vaccine trials are already underway) will lead to a swift but volatile recovery. Some call this a V shaped recovery. Down fast but back up in similar manner.

B. Middle View - 6/9 months before the good news comes - sharp economic declines but robust recovery underway by the Fall. China will lose factories and thus more jobs will come to the US. Strong economic growth due to liquidity from Quantitative Easing, low interest rates, etc.

C. Worst Case - 12 months of recession with a potential for a prolonged economic crisis.

Very few of my friends think we are headed towards Scenario C. Probably 25% believe A and 75% think B. None of them think this is the “end times”.

I personally see it is a wake up call to better manage our finances, our health, our relationships. Expect many measures to provide relief/aid to American small business owners in hard hit sectors and likely even for the general population - for instance - I read today that if you have an income tax bill due April 15th, although you still need to file your return on time, you have a 90 day extension to make your payments.

Be encouraged. This crisis will pass. Faith, hope and love remain... Hang in there all.

4. theguynextdoor

theguynextdoor LawnSite Senior Member

Hey Jarod,

The only reason I look at lawnsite anymore is to see your updates. I think you're spot on and we're looking at 6-9 months of this situation. Only the companies who will adapt and manage cash flow will survive. I've already changed the way we will manage finances moving forward.

How are you changing/managing your jobs and team moving forward? Is your work designated essential construction in PA? As of now, we are not explicitly authorized to do any work in New York. I anticipate we will be allowed to do lawn care and maintenance at some point, but install work will likely be on hold for a while.

Your thoughts?

5. OP
    OP
    etwman

As of today, at the moment, we can continue to function as we have. This is according to PA Landscape and Nurseryman's Association. This of course could all change tomorrow.

We have not had anything pull from what we call the "hot zone" our schedule for the next 90 days, but have had things postpone for later this fall.

The bottom line is no one has a script on how to manage a P&L for a landscape company in the middle of a pandemic. It just doesn't exist.....but guess what, you're going to write one now. I am extremely thankful I have my peer group right now as we are almost talking daily on navigating all this. I can't imagine going through this without them.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2020
  6. OP
    OP
    etwman

In the midst of the craziest weeks our company has ever experienced arrives a small glimmer of hope. #9 pulled onto our lot today. I wouldn’t exactly say it was something that I really wanted to see at this moment in time, but it is here. When she will finally get on the road is a huge guess, as everyone is shut down in manufacturing. Keep your heads up, run cash flow reports daily, and hold on.

65268EEA-C5CD-4635-BBD3-7F0680F1ABE8.jpeg

7. rstan2010

rstan2010 LawnSite Member
    from Troy MI

8. OP
    OP
    etwman

Their main HQ and manufacturing facility is about 5 miles from my office. They do first class work. There is no better aluminum fabricator. I know the owner well, good friend.

They are finishing up the very first all aluminum dump trailer for us. It’s almost done, built very solid.

9. Shorelandscaper

Shorelandscaper LawnSite Senior Member
    from MD

and here I thought I was cool for upgrading to a cam superliner

10. rstan2010

rstan2010 LawnSite Member
    from Troy MI

Looking forward to seeing the finished product. What floor was used in your Swap loader body and your dump trailer? Just curious if the aluminum bodies you have will be used for any stone or concrete material?