• Thankful For Your Family…. Business?
    Landscaping businesses are often family endeavors. While this can combine the best of both worlds (personal and professional), it isn’t always smooth sailing. Click here to read more.

Equipment questions

kcunning1

LawnSite Member
I have a small business. I have a 48" (Encore) commercial walkbehind. I plan on getting a 21 or 22 inch push mower as well. I have about 20-30 residential clients and am looking to get some commercial clients. Could I get away with using a nice residential mower (say a toro or something like that) or should i look for a commercial 21" or 22".

Lawnut101

LawnSite Silver Member
If your gonna get a Toro, make sure you get a higher end resi model. A Super Recycler should treat you pretty good. They are almost commercial duty. How much would you be using the 21"? I usally just string trim instead of using mine, unless I absolutely have to.

OP
K

kcunning1

LawnSite Member
Maybe 20% to 30% of my clients (approx 25 in all) would need cut's with the small mower. My intentions are to obtain some commercial clients in the future. Gas stations, maybe some churches.

OP
K

kcunning1

LawnSite Member
Maybe 20% to 30% of my clients (approx 25 in all) would need cut's with the small mower. My intentions are to obtain some commercial clients in the future. Gas stations, maybe some churches. I also wanted to have a reliable back-up mower in case the 48" went down for a few weeks or so.

Lawnut101

LawnSite Silver Member
Well, if you buy a mower for around $600, and use it on about 1/3rd of your accounts, it sounds like it would be worth it and pay off fairly quickly. Lets say you make (gross) $900 off your 30 accounts each week. Maybe you clear about $600-700 of that (just an example) each week. It wouldn't take long to pay that off, seeing as you would "make" around $200 each week with the push mower. Do you see what I am getting at? Now if you had 30 accounts, and were only gonna mow one or 2 yards, then it would basically take you all season to pay off that mower. Which is ok, but seems like you could put that money elsewhere, or buy something used. But I think what you are planning on doing is good.

OP
K

kcunning1

LawnSite Member
Thank you for taking the time to respond with great info. What are your thoughts on Shindaiwa v. Echo equipment? Blowers in particular.