1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns in the Franchising forum plus sign up to receive a FREE eBook on how to grow your landscape business.

Dismiss Notice

Equipment Shortage!!! HELP!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Lawns By Randy, Jan 12, 2006.

1. Lawns By Randy

Lawns By Randy LawnSite Member

I am new to this site but not to mowing I am 19 and have been in the mowing business for 5 years or more I started with a Lawn Boy pushing it to where I needed to get to I now have a double axle trailer and a 3/4 ton Ford Diesel and around 40 customers. my problem is all I have in the area of mowers is a Wright 36inch stander, I bought it in june of 2005 it had 275 it now has 400hrs with this many customers I am looking for another mower for the spring but it being winter cash is not readily available, I did find in the Bargain Post another 36inch Toro walk behind with a Velke for $1650 does anyone have any thoughts wheter this is a good thing or should I continue to look for something else??? HELP!:eek:

2. qualitylawnmanagement

qualitylawnmanagement LawnSite Bronze Member

H6w big of lots will you be doing?

3. Mr.Mow-It-All

Mr.Mow-It-All LawnSite Senior Member

I am sorry, I guess I missed it. Your title says equimpent storage, What is it you need help with?

4. Mr.Mow-It-All

Mr.Mow-It-All LawnSite Senior Member

Never mind, I see it says sHortage, not storage, sorry read it wrong.

5. Signature Landscaping1

Signature Landscaping1 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Mass

Maybe a lesco 48'' w/b, only 2500 brand new, check out the site
    www.lesco.com

6. Lawns By Randy

about 30 town yards and around 20 commercial 6 of those Daycare centers and one or two apartments and a Wal-mart

7. Jpocket

Jpocket LawnSite Silver Member

I would save my money and finance a ZTR, the w/b isn't gonna do you much good when your stander breaks on monday and can't be fixed till next Monday. Then use the stander as a back up or whatever. A walkbehind isn't a good choice considering your work load, and im sure you plan on growing this year too. I would wait until the weather breaks and see if you can get financed on a new Lazer or something.

8. Lawns By Randy

well instead of a rider would it be good to just purchase the Toro walk behind with the velke for 1650 its a 2003 and has been used by a resedential owner so I am guessing at the max being three years old it has around 150hrs on it whats your thoughts?

9. Jason Rose

Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic

But the Toro is a 36" too, right? You already have a 36" and it's far from worn out at 400 hours. Get a bigger ztr. I know this is a bad word on here but look at Dixon. You could get a 44" or 50" ram model for MUCH less money than others. They DO hold up fine, contrary to what many on here will say. Plus they aren't built like, or as heavy as a sherman tank. That's a real plus when running over wet small lawns.

10. 3Bladz

3Bladz LawnSite Member
    from IL

I would be looking for a 44 - 52 midmount Z. This will be way more productive. What will you do w/ 2 36" wb's. I can't see supporting an employee at this point. W/ a compact Z you can probably cut your time by a third. Exmark has finance plans too or better yet find one w/ 6-700 hours for half the price.