• Online Events For Landscapers!
    With GIE+EXPO cancelled, virtual education and product launches are filling up the fall. Check out dates for Caterpillar, Exmark, NALP, and more. Click here to learn more.

Equipment storage

1st impressions

LawnSite Member
My company is located in the western suburbs of Chicago. I
currently store ALL my equipment at my house and have run out of room. My wife and neighbors say it is time to get a new place. Can anyone out there give me an idea on the cost to store 3 trailers and possible a truck.
Storage around here seems to be at a premium.(if you can find it) I've looked at calling some small churches to barter some parking lot space in return for lawn maintenance. I am also going to call property managers to see if they may have a client who would be willing to deal. Any other ideas?
Any other companies in the same boat out here in DuPage county? Maybe we could join forces. I found an industrial
building with drive in capabilities with 1400 sq. ft. of space for $750/month. I only need about 600ft.
Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

SJR Lawncare

LawnSite Senior Member
I think mean green machine is screwing around. That is the 2nd or 3rd time he has interrupted a thread with that stupid question. Yes there is such a thing as a stupid question, When you ask it in the middle of another discussion.

SJR

Mark

LawnSite Senior Member
Im in the same boat as you. I really can't afford 500 a month rent space. Im thinking about just building a pole barn in the back yd, Right now everything is in the driveway covered.

Esby

LawnSite Senior Member
Take a look into enclosed trailers. I know that may seem unreasonable, but then again its also like a mobile shop where ever you go. Keeps your equipment out of the weather and well protected. Plus, no worries about storage!!!

captdevo

LawnSite Senior Member
i maintain a mall, and cut a deal with them to leave 2 enclosed trailers (rolling billboards) in their parking lot and had no problem. Keep'em locked. That is what insurance is for.

mdb landscaping

LawnSite Silver Member
i bought an enclosed trailer for that reason. all my stuff stays locked up out of sight. i know you want to store a truck and more trailers. go to a local lesco, if one, and ask if you can park there. i know a few guys that park their trucks at a local lesco, because they do business there. you could try a self storage place too.

kutnkru

LawnSite Silver Member
I know of several contractors here locally that use storeage malls as their "garages". I believe the going rate is around $75 per month per unit(10x20) for the smaller ones.

I would also do as mdb suggested and talk with either an elctrical wholesaler who has a pipe yard, possibly a trucking outfit, or even a mechanics garage where you could store your equipment inside of one of the above fenced lots.

I know that people are usually willing to barter as long you are not a threat. Just make sure that you have some means for keeping your equipment under lock and key. You could also check with some of the local residents. I know garage rentals are quite common in our area.

Hope this helps.
Kris