Lawn Care Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,782 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was doing some excavation with a mini-x for a customer, and got too close to the siding- working real close to the corner of the house and the boom caught the corner of some siding. I fixed it out of pocket, cost me about $300.00 total. I have good coverage through Erie, and asked my insurance agent about it after it was repaired, whether I should have had it fixed by a siding contractor and put in a claim or just fixed it myself, as I did. He told me that if I had claimed a small claim like that I could be put into a 'high risk' group, and if I had another small claim I would most likely be dropped by Erie. He was telling that with commercial insurance, the insurance companies dont mess with the small claims, and would just as quick drop you, as raise your rates.
My question is, has anyone put in any 'small' claims as such, and what has been the outcome? Are you still covered, have you received any notice of cancellation if you have made repeat claims??
Thanks in advance,
Matt. :waving:

·
Registered
1,782 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i think he's lying to you isnt that why we have coverage in the first place.
I kind of found his response to be the 'dont bother me with your little claims, I am too busy for you right now' response. But, I just wanted to hear from some of you. When I see a newbie on here ask about insurance coverage, many have suggested Erie for various reasons. I have been with them now for a little over a year, have no prior claims and find it a little odd that they would drop me over a couple of small claims.
Hopefully someone will see this post and have some experience with making a claim/ claims with them.
Thanks again,
Matt.

·
Registered
501 Posts
I have an insurance agent that will do what ever is in my best intrest and he always gives me good advice, something that small you should be able to put in a claim with no hassle although I would have most likely fixed it myself and have my accountant handle it at the end of the year just so I didnt have any losses shown on my insurance policy.

·
Registered
156 Posts
I would agree with your agent and fix that out of pocket. It is easy to think the total cost would only be $300, but the insurance company has to pay someone to work the claim. I would think anything under $1000 should not be called in. Commercial insurance companies look at claims frequency, so they will drop you. What if you had an employee who did $40 - $50 bucks of damage here and there. You would more than likely let him go, because you know big damage will be coming, and you get sick of eating those little damages. The insurance company looks at this the same way.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
I made a $2000 claim through them last summer for stolen equipment with no problems. They did not raise my rates but I canceled anyways the next year due to problems with the insurance person I was going through.

They paid by check within a few days of the claim, didn't hassle me either.

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
I worked with Erie Insurance before. I have had no problems. They even showed up to court with me to testify that my customer won't let him on the property to take pics. Anyways, I guess it depends on the agent(s) whom you speak to.

·
Registered
5,489 Posts
Most policies carry a $500.00 deductable anyways so they prob wouldn't have paid out anything with out some out-of-pocket for you. I pay for any damages under $1000.00 just to avoid a claim and yes, any company will drop you for too many claims. Once dropped, good luck getting insurance.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.