Erosion around shed

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by westaiv, Oct 17, 2017.

1. westaiv

westaiv LawnSite Member

[​IMG]
    https://imgur.com/a/ZLRjZ
    I have a small problem with erosion around my shed. In the picture you can see the door opens right to left outward and clips the ground making it hard to open. What could I do to permanently, and relatively cheaply, fix this problem? I thought about digging in front of the shed and using landscape timbers on the right side to divert future erosion but the only thing I know about landscaping is coming from YouTube.

shed.png

2. Babaganoosh

Babaganoosh LawnSite Member

Why is your shed on a slant? Did you construct a level shed pad before you put the shed down?

3. westaiv

westaiv LawnSite Member

The shed has been in place for 40 years now. It's a well built wooden shed on a slab.

4. westaiv

westaiv LawnSite Member

To clarify further, the shed is on a level slab. It has taken 40 years for the dirt from uphill to erode and make its way in front of the shed to obstruct the edge of the door when it is opened. Any suggestions are appreciated.

5. westaiv

westaiv LawnSite Member

I don't know if I made it clear but the slanted black line is the ground that has eroded from uphill to the right.

6. hort101

hort101 LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from S.E. New England

Regrade it below what level you want and put stone or rock downThumbs Up

Dandan111 likes this.
  7. westaiv

westaiv LawnSite Member

Thanks for the reply! What kind of stone or rock is preferable/easiest for a novice put down? I have put in some square concrete pavers at one time to extend my driveway. Would these be acceptable?

8. BigJlittleC

BigJlittleC LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Chicago

If it took 40 years for it to build up why not just dig it out and leave it alone. It'll take another 40 years to build back up. I would be more worried about the few inches of dirt rotting out the side.

9. westaiv

westaiv LawnSite Member

I intended on digging it out but I didn't know what to put in its place. If there are no other suggestions, I will probably put the pavers down.

hort101 likes this.
  10. hort101

hort101 LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from S.E. New England

Probably no need for pavers just crushed stone or natural
    Just dig down so there's no dirt or stone against the woodThumbs Up