1. Can’t make it to the GIE+EXPO 2017?
    LawnSite brings the trade show floor to your fingertips with our new GIE+EXPO 2017 Sneak Peek video series debuting now in the Lawn Mowing forum.

Dismiss Notice

Erosion Control Products?

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by lawnmaniac883, May 30, 2007.

1. lawnmaniac883

lawnmaniac883 LawnSite Silver Member

Ok so my customer lives in a residential neighborhood, has a fenced in backyard. Only problem is that the backyard and its fence borders a drainage creek so his property is progressively being eroded by the elements and the area under his fence has been washed away now leaving about a one foot gap under the fence. What kind of products could be used to retain the rest of his dirt and prevent it from being washed away. I know there are silt fences and such, I'm looking for something more permanent. Thought about the bags of concrete that get stacked to make a makeshift retaining wall? Noone see's the area so beauty is not a concern.

2. capetan

capetan LawnSite Member

a picture might be helpful....how big is this problem, i found a lot interesting pictures of stuff by doing a google search....are you looking for instructions on how to build a retaining wall, a retaining wall is pretty much your only option..... material wise you got rock stone concrete wood....... a picture would be nice

3. jeffinsgf

jeffinsgf LawnSite Senior Member

The most effective erosion control material is living plant material. I would replace the eroded top soil and get some quick growing ground cover going.

4. lawnmaniac883

Only problem with living material is right now we are in a really bad drought and there is no way to get water to the area. Its not a big area at all, maybe 15 - 20 feet wide and only 7 or so feet deep.

5. Focal Point Landscapes

Focal Point Landscapes LawnSite Senior Member

The plant material suggestion isa good one , but your idea of bags of concrete is a low cost option that will work - just stack them dry , offset the joints and backfill - it won't look very good from the back side , though.

6. lawnmaniac883

Not worried about looks as this will be done on the opposite side of the fenceline then backfilled with topsoil.

7. Premo Services

Premo Services LawnSite Bronze Member

I have a customer that has a hillside that is washing away and weeds too. I am thinking about crown vetch to give them a no maintenance solution and help the erosion problem. They do not want a wall I tried to get them to do it.