1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation about enhanced efficiency fertilizers with the experts at Koch Turf & Ornamental in the Fertilizer Application forum .

    Dismiss Notice

Erosion Control

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by jmacd, Dec 19, 2012.

  1. jmacd

    jmacd LawnSite Member
    Messages: 227

    How many of you have taken the 4 hour erosion and sediment class required by the DEC.?
  2. treemover

    treemover LawnSite Senior Member
    Messages: 413

    i will bite, what is this?
  3. KrayzKajun

    KrayzKajun LawnSite Fanatic
    Messages: 10,737

    same here, what is it? gotta be some more new regs from New York.
  4. jmacd

    jmacd LawnSite Member
    Messages: 227

    Here in NY we have a 4 hour course that cost $75. You need a certificate renewed every 3 years.

    A card holder and on site card holder is required on any private or public project that disturbs one acre or more of area at one time. You would then need a inspection log kept on a weekly basis for review. You also need a swppp plan and permit from DEC, the spec book would have one already in place most of the time. Quite a lot of information on New Yorks DEC web site.

    I can't imagine that other states wouldn't have the same kind of laws in place.

    Also smaller jobs can be written for violations just the same if sediment is leaving the work area. The course is worth taking.

    Take a project like AdvanceWall or Dirtman is doing every day. I would check you states DEC web site.
  5. treemover

    treemover LawnSite Senior Member
    Messages: 413

    We have all of that in KS, just not a certification, GC/Owner pulls strom water certificate and fills out paper work
  6. YellowDogSVC

    YellowDogSVC LawnSite Gold Member
    from TX
    Messages: 3,775

    There is a general permit rule for certain conditions here in Texas. I think that's for under 5 acres but someone correct me if I'm wrong. I see a lot of violations here ranging from poor erosion control to failure to keep up with BMPs. I've talked with the state agency that administers the EPA phase II rules but there isn't enough enforcement unless you are near a waterway or municipal drain system. Luckily, what I do most of the time is considered a best management practice and I read up a lot about erosion control. Have not seen any mandates for classes, yet, but I imagine it's coming.
  7. KrayzKajun

    KrayzKajun LawnSite Fanatic
    Messages: 10,737

    The erosion control falls under our state Heavy Construction license. Im working on mine right now, also focusing on BMPs for stormwater and flood water runoff.
    Posted via Mobile Device

Share This Page