Estimate follow-up

Discussion in 'Bidding, Estimating and Pricing' started by Todd73, Apr 23, 2018.

1. Todd73

Todd73 LawnSite Silver Member
    Male, from Florida

Curious what everyone’s follow-up time frame is after giving an estimate? 24 hours? 48 hours? A week? None?

I’ve realized I don’t have a set pattern and probably should.

2. Mark Stark

Mark Stark LawnSite Member

I tell them that I'll follow up in a couple of days. If I give an estimate on a Friday, I generally wait until Tuesday.

My follow ups are real short & sweet; typically by email.

Todd73 likes this.
  3. BigJlittleC

BigJlittleC LawnSite Gold Member
    from Chicago

Depending on what the estimate is for anywhere between 3 days and a week. I usually know if I landed the account after the onsite visit with the client as I close them onsite and sign the agreement. The ones who have to think more about it usually don't want to pay my quoted price but don't know how to say no.

sehitchman and Todd73 like this.
  4. weeze

weeze LawnSite Fanatic

i don't follow up. they either say you're hired or if they say they are getting other estimates then they never call back. i will never be the cheapest price so i don't even mess with those people.

i swear i've landed 15 or more estimates this spring. i dunno what's going on. i just got 2 new ones today. they are calling like crazy this year. they aren't taking other bids they are just hiring me on the spot. i think a lot of guys have gotten out of the business or just stopped showing up or something. i don't really know what's going on.

Greencuts518 and Todd73 like this.
  5. Mitty87

Mitty87 LawnSite Silver Member

I don't follow up at all, maybe I will start doing it in the future if I'm stressed keeping my employees busy. I probably should follow up because sometimes I get a reply 2 weeks later and had written them off already.

Todd73 likes this.
  6. Mow-Daddy.com

Mow-Daddy.com LawnSite Platinum Member

I seldom follow up. They have my number and email.

7. Matthews Lawn Care

Matthews Lawn Care LawnSite Bronze Member

If it’s a commercial acct, I’ll wait about a week to follow up.

I don’t follow up with residential accts.

13Razorbackfan and Todd73 like this.
  8. Todd73

Todd73 LawnSite Silver Member
    Male, from Florida

Good to see I’m not alone! I’m 0-3 this week and was thinking maybe it was because it was lack of follow through, but most likely it’s price. Most people here think that next to free lawn care is their God given right. That and the one I did yesterday who thought she could pay me weekly per cut like her late husband the “lawn guy” used to do. Nope. Don’t work that way. I’ll just keep on chipping away and wait for my usual uptick in calls Mid-July when all the $60 a month guys crap out in the heat and some people (not all) realize they have to pay higher rates than they’d give a teenager if they want quality and reliability.

9. sailfish27

sailfish27 LawnSite Member

It might be worth taking the long view on following up. In my previous business (construction) I often lost out on a job only to get a call months or a year later for the next job. The customer was obviously not happy with their first choice so they call me on the next project.

It may be worth keeping in touch for awhile by email. There is probably a greater likelihood that person who beat you on price craps out in the first year. One caveat, not sure if it's worth it for a mowing account. Only you know the answer.

10. Mitty87

Mitty87 LawnSite Silver Member

I do let people know that if they want to get on the schedule it will usually be X amount of weeks from when I get their deposit, so usually if I don't hear back within a week they found someone else. Sometimes it just takes awhile to hear back because they are getting other quotes and it might take them 2-3 weeks to have a few people give them a price (for landscaping jobs)