Estimate Help When Using Skidsteer

Discussion in 'Landscape Maintenance' started by Mark Stark, Apr 22, 2019.

1. Mark Stark

Mark Stark LawnSite Senior Member

Hey Everybody!

We have a client that would like an estimate on a cleanup for an overgrown portion of their yard. I'm planning on renting a Skidsteer for this project and I have limited experience using one. I'd love some information on what you guys think about my roughly laid plan. I'll try and add some pictures later.

Project:

Clear an area that is approximately 35' x 30'. Area is overgrown with Ivy, weeds, junk trees that are no more than 3" or so, a couple of bushes, etc. Some tall growth that runs about waist high covers a fair portion of this.

They'd like it cleared to bare dirt. They're considering planting grass or possibly adding a small patio area with the remainder grass. They have a crushed stone walkway that's not visible due to the overgrown mess going on. They want this saved and spruced up. We'd need to move the medium size rocks that line the walkway and bring in some additional crushed stone. Walkway is about 35' x 3'.

We'd want to use the Skid to pull some small stumps (3"-4") as well.

I'm not quite sure how long this will take so it's throwing me off a bit. Here's what I was thinking.......

Skidsteer: $350 (1) day
    Labor: Me + (1) employee @ 10 hrs on site (20 labor hours)
    Disposal: ?? The weight is going to be substantial. A roll off dumpster can hold 6000 lb and runs about $550. If I go 2" down (not sure if I need to), I'll be way over 6000 lbs.

I'm thinking $2400 for everything.

I think the labor is factored high but I want to be conservative on my numbers since I have limited expertise on the Skid. The biggest issue I see is disposal. We don't have any good areas for disposal for what's going to mostly amount to heavy soil. Our debris yards take leaves, brush, etc. but do not accept sod, dirt, etc.

What do you guys think on my rough pricing? Any tips on a better way to tackle this? Can I effectively "skim" the ground to remove the overgrowth while not really taking up any soil?

Thanks!

2. code54

code54 LawnSite Member

Can you brush hog it first (or flail mow or mulcher) to reduce the overgrowth down and then clean up. That is a small area to clean up with a machine and something I would not think about twice except for the dumping of the debris (Sorry I never deal with that)

Mark Stark likes this.
  3. Mac-s Lawn & Snow

Mac-s Lawn & Snow LawnSite Member

The dumpster part just does seem to fit in with everything else. 6000 pounds in a dumpster isn't very much weight at all. Most likely this is a 10 yard unit that is pulled around on a trailer. Any dumpster that is a true roll-off should be able to carry 16,000 pound or more. For $550 disposal cost you should be able to find someone with a tandem axle dump truck to haul and dispose of that stuff.

Mark Stark likes this.
  4. OP
    OP
    Mark Stark

Agreed. Agreed.D prices seemed excessive to me. This was for a 40 yard roll off. 6000lbs isn't really that much.

Cam15 likes this.
  5. OP
    OP
    Mark Stark

Yea that might be a better idea. Would the brush hog be able to get low enough to the ground to clear the Ivy though?

6. Mac-s Lawn & Snow

Maybe the 6000 pound thing is kinda of disclaimer to keep you from filling the thing with 40 yards of dirt and debris. If your scraping 2 inches of dirt up or so I'm thinking your going to be at 9,000 pounds. If you can put all that and some tree debris together in the dumpster then the price isn't too bad. I don't think the skiddy part should take you more than 2 or 3 hours.

Mark Stark likes this.
  7. TPendagast

TPendagast LawnSite Fanatic
    Male

Sub some trucking

Make a pile of overburden and load up the dump
    Pay a guy to make rounds hauling off the debris
    A triax Dump will haul many times more than that can you’re talking about
    A 600 series bobcat with vertical lift will load a triax

Mark Stark likes this.
  8. OP
    OP
    Mark Stark

Do you think using a Skid is over kill on a project this size? One of the big benefits was getting some more experience with that sort of equipment.

In reality, a brush hog (previously suggested) or even string strimmers, hedge trimmers, and chain saw for the small "trees" (or loppers I suppose) would probably be fine.

Cam15 likes this.
  9. Mac-s Lawn & Snow

Yeah its overkill but I'm guessing your going to have a road across the yard at some point so your going to want to limit the amount of trips. A mini skid isn't going to be able to load any thing but a dump trailer.

Cam15 likes this.
  10. Mowing monkey.

Mowing monkey. LawnSite Senior Member

You need a dump truck. You also need a toothed bucket. Here’s a job I did today cleaning up a hack job done by tree guys. It was littered with 1-3” stumps cut at ground level. I also got a load stuck in my truck. I didn’t bill what the trucking was worth 1 because a way under estimated the volume second because in a year or so it’ll be good topsoil that I desperately need.

F392AE68-B820-4ADF-A198-A54C5D8D82D2.jpeg

EE1A2D29-82DE-48F3-9416-78C67E7874C0.jpeg

51BBD582-1115-42A4-AD22-95D164BFC466.png

Cam15 and Mark Stark like this.