Estimate Help When Using Skidsteer

Discussion in 'Landscape Maintenance' started by Mark Stark, Apr 22, 2019.

1. TPendagast

TPendagast LawnSite Fanatic
    Male

I really can’t see how big the job is

If they want bare dirt
    String trimmers and brush hogs will not do that

Cam15 and Mark Stark like this.
  2. OP
    OP
    Mark Stark

Mark Stark LawnSite Senior Member

Right. If they want bare dirt for a clean slate, pretty much use a Skid then right?

3. OP
    OP
    Mark Stark

How long do you think it took you to knock that out?

Should I be able to scrape the ground pretty clean without taking up 2" of soil? Should I expect to have to scrape up 1" of soil?

4. Mowing monkey.

Mowing monkey. LawnSite Senior Member

I worked all day on projects for the guy but what you see in the picture took about an hour maybe 1.5 hours but I had a 95 Kubota with tracks. If it’s just a thicket of brush you should be able to push it off with almost no dirt. This was a thicket of vines that pretty much had a blanket of roots on the ground that I had no choice to take some dirt with. Also rocks will make your work more difficult. Usually in my area the soil is half rock but on that job I had the luxury of not having any. Do you have somewhere at your house you can burn it and not pay dump fees?

Mark Stark likes this.
  5. Mowing monkey.

Here’s another job I did a few days ago. I was onsite about an hour but most of the time was the dirt work. I might have spent 20 minutes on the brush.

08FC5B59-BB97-4216-A875-BE663414E4DC.jpeg

B5A8899B-E671-490B-AEEB-9F6712BD069E.jpeg

FB3FBEF4-2F51-45EF-9461-B6CD1702087A.jpeg

Cam15 and Mark Stark like this.
  6. TPendagast

TPendagast LawnSite Fanatic
    Male

Yea
    With a tooth bucket
    You’ll get frustrated with only a smooth bucket
    But it will work if that’s all you have access to

Mark Stark likes this.
  7. OP
    OP
    Mark Stark

Really appreciate the info guys. Besides the sort of unknown cost of disposal, how do you feel about my pricing for the job?

8. cotyledon

cotyledon LawnSite Senior Member

Just my 2 cents, but maybe a mini excavator would be better easier to learn and operate.

Mark Stark and knox gsl like this.
  9. knox gsl

knox gsl LawnSite Fanatic

4in1 bucket is King on jobs like this.
    If I were doing this I'd cut everything off at the ground and run through the whole thing with a stump grinder. Rake it out and seed.

Mark Stark likes this.
  10. Mowing monkey.

A skid steer is WAY better than the cut and grind approach. I’ve been called to clean up those hack jobs before and they’re never fit for a lawnmower. A tooth bucket and or grapple is a necessity. I like raking with a tooth bucket better but the grapple makes loading brush a lot better. The mini excavator and thumb approach works but you’re going to have more hand raking than the skid steer.