Estimate Help When Using Skidsteer

Discussion in 'Landscape Maintenance' started by Mark Stark, Apr 22, 2019.

1. Mowing monkey.

Mowing monkey. LawnSite Senior Member

I think you’re at a big disadvantage and will probably loose if the customer is taking multiple bids. Someone that owns a dump truck and skid steer would be done in an hour or so plus another couple hours for hauling. Way cheaper than the 10 hours and 1000 in rental expenses you have. I just priced digging a hole with my 310 at $1500. Now if the customer is smart and goes to talk to the guy with a 325 Cat sitting across the road he would probably do it cheaper since it would take 1/4 the time.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2019
    Mark Stark and Mac-s Lawn & Snow like this.
  2. code54

code54 LawnSite Member

I personally would use a tractor and not a skid steer. Run the brush hog on everything to minimize the debris. Use the front loader to clean up the ground (use a ratchet rake on the bucket). Then can just load the garbage up and be down the road. I would go with 6 hrs and figure that would cover loading/unloading/ changing implements and the job with ease. Add dump fees/cost and you got your estimate. A dump trailer maybe a cheaper option if you minimize debris if one is available to you. I also agree that you shouldn't need to remove 2" of soil (plus you will be removing a lot of the good organic matter/topsoil by doing that). Good luck

Mark Stark likes this.
  3. code54

code54 LawnSite Member

No - it will cut everything about 4" high to minimize the debris then scrape it down to get rid of the low garbage and do your final clean up.

Mark Stark likes this.
  4. OP
    OP
    Mark Stark

Mark Stark LawnSite Senior Member

Appreciate the insight everyone! I've got to get an email out to this guy asap. We're so busy with other work that I may pass on this one after all.

I have a few projects at my new house that I could use a Skid for. Maybe get my experience level up at my own place.

5. Mowing monkey.

Mowing monkey. LawnSite Senior Member

I’d advise getting a joystick controlled one. The foot pedal ones suck.

Mark Stark likes this.
  6. Cjames808

Cjames808 LawnSite Member

Just do it.

7. OP
    OP
    Mark Stark

Mark Stark LawnSite Senior Member

It's a time thing. I'll give him a time frame but it's a few weeks out. We've added 2 new full timers but maybe a part timer would also be helpful.