Estimate question...

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by greenpepper, Aug 10, 2007.

1. greenpepper

greenpepper LawnSite Member

Hey guys! Thanks for all the helpful advice on this site!

I have a customer who wants me to fertilize his yard this Spring and I have never done fert. I plan on getting my license over the winter, but they would like a price range now if possible. Their yard is 1 1/2 acres. How much would you guys charge for a property this size? They have an already nice looking lawn. They have several trees (5 med size) and a fairly flat yard. Just need a rough idea.

Thanks,

Brett

2. mkroher

mkroher LawnSite Senior Member

that's about 60,000 sqft. I would do $5/1000 or $300/app. Offer the optional grub control at $450.

If it's a really competitive market, I wouldn't go lower than $4/1000.

If you can get $7 or $8/1000 that would be nice. But that's a lot for lawn care on a lawn that size.

3. greenpepper

^^Thanks for the reply, it's very much appreciated!

4. rcreech

rcreech Sponsor
    Male, from OHIO

mkroher,

I am not sure where you guys live....but that is really high compared to what I charge and what the market can handle in my area.

Greenpepper,

Do they currently have a lawn care service? If so....ask them if you can see what they are currently doing and see if you can find a price. I used to ask customers all the time when I first started and they never cared (plus they knew me and trusted me).

That way you have an idea where to start. Other then that its the o'l know your cost and make a profit theory.

If you are only doing a lawn or two...you will paying $5 more a bag for fert and $10 more per gallon for chem so you may want to come up with your own prices.

Good Luck!

5. greenpepper

^^good point^^

Initally I imagine I will be paying more until I can justify buying a bulk amount. I'll try and do some reconissance work on that pricing...

Thanks!

Brett

6. mkroher

rcreech, my minimum is $4/1000 for large lawns.

Smaller lawns I charge $60 minimum, around 5K sqft.

15K lawns I try to float around $100.

It all depends on driving distance, and complexity to treat the lawn. Generally, I always try to stay in the $4-12/K range.

My merit apps are 1.5 times the cost of the normal app.

7. rcreech

rcreech Sponsor
    Male, from OHIO

I know...I read your prices above.

I would not get ANY business if my prices were up there with yours. That is why I told greenpepper to know his own area as if he uses your prices or mine he may not get any business or go broke!

I barely get $60 for a 10K lawn. CL, Scotts and LL are right around me on $ so I know I am in the ballpark!

In OH we don't have the luxury of charging that much...although it would be nice!

I have heard that you all up there in the NE pay a lot more for your product due to the regualation and lack of competiton. Down here I think we save on inputs and don't have to charge as much.

8. heritage

heritage LawnSite Bronze Member

Mkroher,

Our prices are in line with yours or slightly higher.

The high quality market is great! This clientel dose not seem to mind the higher price scale. They see the end result, and thats valuable to them.

Cost plus, and add your price per 1000. My cost is overhead+materials+stop fee. I pay myself from the price I charge per 1000 AFTER Cost.

It's simple and I can track daily with ease how much $ I actually NET that day.

Pete D.

9. mkroher

rcreech, up here we have our share of the big companies. We have trugreen, scotts, and a few others. I get lots of customers who were tired of the large companies, and hire me. I gave a price of $65/app when trugreen was $50. The price difference didn't even phase the customer, and I was hired. 5 apps, that's a $75 annual difference. Is it REALLY that much money? No. I can't even fill my fuel tank with 75 bucks.

Last week I met with a very anal customer, who wants ALL the bentgrass in his lawn killed and replaced. I shot off a VERY high number to do it. He said 'when do you want to do it?'

I don't think I've ever had a customer complain about the prices I've given. Makes me wonder if I'm too low. Then I read your post... I think you should move up here :D

10. rcreech

rcreech Sponsor
    Male, from OHIO

Heritage,

"The high quality market is great" What does that mean?

Just because you are in a different market area, and can charge more....what does quality have to do with it? I do some work in "rich" neighborhoods...but does that mean that I should charge them more? I don't think so.

S ee are providing the same quality and have the same quality customers, you are just charging customers more. Again you don't know my costs, so how don't you know we are making the same money?

mkroher,

I should!

Where I am, they are just a bunch of good ol coutry people and mostly farm type homesteads which in returen incomes are lower in our area. I make very good money and again you just have to know your market area.

I have learned my competition's prices pretty well and I am about in the middle. I am making good money, but all I am saying is I guarantee you wouldn't get any business down here if you charged that here.