Estimated time of arrival!

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by FitzRightMowingService, Dec 30, 2018.

1. FitzRightMowingService

FitzRightMowingService LawnSite Member

Is it good or bad to tell a customer the exact time that you would be arriving to start the job?

How do the rest of you handle the situation?

2. Matthews Lawn Care

Matthews Lawn Care LawnSite Silver Member

I don’t give them a time, I give them a day. If they ask what time I’ll be there, which is rare, I give them a 2 hour window.

3. TPendagast

TPendagast LawnSite Fanatic
    Male

So some of the industry software (like service auto pilot and real green)
    Have what’s called a client portal

Among other things (like paying bills or ordering new services) that they can do in the portal , they can see in real time when they’re “next”
    If they’re number 6 on the route they can see the truck is now servicing 4...

Tbh
    That’s exactly how I would suggest handling it

4. BigJlittleC

BigJlittleC LawnSite Fanatic
    from Chicago

For mowing or other routine work they get a day or week on which they can expect service. Only time I give someone a time is if they are the first stop and even then I give them a couple hour window. The ones that ask are usually the one off jobs or installs for non reoccurring clients.

5. Steve

Steve LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from NE FL

Every flipping time I have given a time something always happens and I'm late. I tell myself not doing it again and then somebody says, "hey what time you think you will be here?" I give them a time and then I end up having to rush.

6. hal

hal LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Georgia

I always give them the ole: before noon, noonish, or the in the after noon. Best I can do, each customer is a new adventure every week. During rainy times? Who knows. During drought? I can be a little more accurate.

7. dkflipse

dkflipse LawnSite Member

Nope.
    However for new accounts I always do for first 1-2 visits. I think it makes them feel good.

I also have a guy that takes like 5 minutes to unblock his gates. I let him know as well.

8. gcbailey

gcbailey LawnSite Gold Member
    from WV

If you promise a time you better be sure you're there when you say.... Can you guarantee that?

9. Mitty87

Mitty87 LawnSite Silver Member

For landscaping jobs I won't be giving days anymore. It will have to be a one week window at best. I deal a lot with delays from suppliers and sometimes employees or weather can extend a job longer than expected.

10. OP
    OP
    FitzRightMowingService

FitzRightMowingService LawnSite Member

You guys are the best the answers are on point all the time. I am soaking up all the knowledge like a sponge for next season.

My wife and I gave everyone a 2 hour window for arrival during the mow season. Fall clean up was a different story, she had to call to change the ETA a few times.

TrainingWheels likes this.