Estimates on jobs that keep changing

Discussion in 'Bidding, Estimating and Pricing' started by onlygreenhere, Sep 6, 2019.

1. onlygreenhere

onlygreenhere LawnSite Member

So this is the part that I find quite annoying.

Especially when I have to keep re-estimating and coming up with multiple invoices.

How do you deal with clients who keep giving you new jobs (Nothing wrong with that)
    but on the same darn lawn or area.

Why can't these clients just give us the whole space the first time instead of doing it in pieces?

What is the reasoning behind it? Are they testing if my lawn maintenance service is up to par? Doesn't happen often but when it does, I just don't understand the logic behind it.

2. Tara Ann

Tara Ann LawnSite Senior Member
    from Midwest

We have had several clients do this due to money constraints.

Cam15 and onlygreenhere like this.
  3. Matthews Lawn Care

Matthews Lawn Care LawnSite Silver Member

Trust is a major reason. What generally happens is you get what I call a “test job”. This is a low risk project that essentially allows them to see your work and get to know you. If they like the service, they’ll start spending more. Happens all the time. Like today, I just got started with a 5k sq ft lawn repair after the customer had to replace their septic and laterals. 4 loads of topsoil, grading, seeding, fertilizing, etc. Can only work 1 load of dirt at a time due to location(fenced in residential). Total project is a little over $3k. I just finished the front yard which is about 1/3 of the project. They now want an estimate on 2 flower beds and possibly terracing the front yard along the drive. Ballpark that’s around another $6k. Once they see your legit, know what your doing and can do it well, they start throwing more at you. It’s a good problem to have.

Cam15 and Tara Ann like this.
  4. OP
    OP
    onlygreenhere

onlygreenhere LawnSite Member

Yeah that makes sense Tara.

I've a few conversations where money was the issue.

Thanks for sharing Matthew, I didn't even think about the trust thing. Never had any issues with it before but might be something I need to focus on.

Appreciate the insights guys.

Cam15 and Tara Ann like this.