1. Free Webinar: Why the Growth of Propane Deserves Your Attention
    Date: Thursday, April 25th
    Time: 11:00am EST
    Find out how switching to propane can save your company time and money. Click here to register
    Dismiss Notice

Estimating Mulch/rock bed around trees

Discussion in 'Bidding, Estimating and Pricing' started by SupremeLawns, Apr 25, 2018.

1. BigJlittleC

BigJlittleC LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Chicago

Maybe you should reread what I said. If a noob goes out and gets himself a bunch of debt for a fancy new truck and equipment he very well could lose money at $50/ph.

I agree business reputation and known skill can demand a higher rate over a noob.

I agree as it's pretty much what I said in my post.

Again if his overhead recovery is higher then yours he might lose at $50. That's why I said to establish a profitable hourly rate. He might find himself unable to compete but poor business planning and unsustainable prices is normally the down fall of most business.

2. sailfish27

sailfish27 LawnSite Member

I'm assuming you said that in another thread. I did re-read your post and you didn't say that??

If someone spends their money foolishly they could lose money regardless of the rate they charge. Besides,I was speaking specifically to this particular job. The only equipment required for this job is an edger and some hand tools. A truck would come in handy but not needed.

Big C, I know where you are coming from and I agree with you wholeheartedly about charging enough. It's good for the owner and good for the industry. I feel like some of the folks here forget what it's like to start out. A noob charging your hourly is never going to get a job. The reasons are obvious, your probably twice as fast and more in demand. You've earned the right through your reputation to charge more.

My only point was it's worth taking on jobs to learn from them. I started out like most noobs with a push mower. I lost more often then I won but I learned a lot along the way. I regularly bid on jobs in the 6 figures and still sometimes miscalculate. I've done jobs close to a million. You make a mistake you learn from it. It's only fatal if you keep making the same mistake.

hort101 likes this.
  3. BigJlittleC

from Chicago

I still use a push mower for my main mower!

As a noob you should still figure out a profitable hourly rate. The trick is to estimate the time correctly to complete. With out a benchmark to go off of it's hard. But I agree they have to start somewhere. As long as they go back and reveiw their times and cost and adjust correctly they should make money on the next one.

hort101 and sailfish27 like this.
  4. sailfish27

sailfish27 LawnSite Member

I couldn't agree more! Wish someone had told me that when I started. Lawn site didn't exist, nor did the internet for that matter.

hort101 likes this.
  5. BigJlittleC

from Chicago

6. smallyardman

smallyardman LawnSite Member

I look at this way. If I am working, I am making money. May not be a great wage but at least it is money coming in. Mowing is steady income. All projects are a bonus

7. Cyrus6161984

Cyrus6161984 LawnSite Member

What percentage do you mark up materials, case by case? Or do you keep it standard?

8. BigJlittleC

from Chicago

If your a W-2 employee this statement is true. As a business owner it is far from it. Just cause money comes in doesn't mean it's profitable money.

Mark Stark and hort101 like this.
  9. BigJlittleC

from Chicago

I have a standard rate that goes up and down on a case by case basis. So it depends..

Cyrus6161984 likes this.
  10. smallyardman

smallyardman LawnSite Member

I'm owner. Have to look at it as any money is income therefore its a good thing