Lawn Care Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is anyone having problems with using gas with ethanol in it? I had some carb problems and my service man said they were seeing a lot of that. Since I have found a couple gas stations that don't use ethanol in their gas and no problems. Just seeing if anyone else was having any problems.

·
Registered
551 Posts
The problems are not from using gas with ethanol in it, but from storing fuel that has ethanol in it.

Ethanol eats at the rubber/viton parts more quickly than MTBE ever did.
Use a fuel stabilizer to minimize problems.
And don't use fuel with more than 10% ethanol.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I talked to a Stihl rep about this particular problem. It would seem that the ethanol acts as a cleaning agent in older distribution tanks at the stations. This causes a gunk to seperate from the fuel which is causing filter problems in my two cycle equipment. Storing ethanol laced gas is not recommended because of seperation issues. A stabilizer will help but not cure the problem.

·
Registered
4,830 Posts
Yep, every piece of echo equipment I have is giving me fits because of the gas!

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
I had problems starting my blowers with the ethanol gas. I since found a station that sells real gas and the problem is fixed.

·
Registered
10,093 Posts
They cant sell gas without ethanol unless its for off road use. Look for places that sell race fuel like CAM 2. Its the old mix. The good stuff. Its going for around $4.80 a gallon here.

·
Registered
3,639 Posts
The EPA thinks that adding 10% ethanol to unleaded gasoline will significantly reduce vehicle emissions, can I say Fuel Additives to the rescue, the EPA still has left a major loop hole open in the fuel additive market (little or no regulation). Choose a quality fuel additive for 4 stroke gasoline engine's, and a high quality 2 stroke lubricant can reduce staring issues with the ethanol additive in gasoline.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
The EPA thinks that adding 10% ethanol to unleaded gasoline will significantly reduce vehicle emissions, can I say Fuel Additives to the rescue, the EPA still has left a major loop hole open in the fuel additive market (little or no regulation). Choose a quality fuel additive for 4 stroke gasoline engine's, and a high quality 2 stroke lubricant can reduce staring issues with the ethanol additive in gasoline.
True. It does reduce emissions but it burns quicker and you end up using more fuel. Go figure???? If it ever goes above 10% say good bye to two stroke. You can also use for now 89 octane and a synthetic oil for two stroke and you should be OK.

·
Registered
29,217 Posts
Wrecked havoc on my boat a few weeks ago. Loosened up all the crap in the tank and now its thru the entire fual line. Around here we can only buy cam 2 at the pump during bike week. That station is an hr away from me.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I have found 2 gas stations in my area that sell nothing but ethanol free gas. I was talking to my service man and he told me about the stores. Ever since I have been running it in my trucks also and I get 3 miles per gallon more. The cost is .10-.15 cents higher roughly $3.75 a gallon. My trucks and mowers run a lot better with the straight fuel.

·
Registered
3,125 Posts
also with E10 cars are geting worse gas milage causeing cars to fill up faster then when there was no Ethanol in gas!

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
also with E10 cars are geting worse gas milage causeing cars to fill up faster then when there was no Ethanol in gas!
The amount of the ethanol in the fuel just about matches the percent drop in MPG. As for the crud, it is from the ethanol breaking loose the buildups in tanks and carbs. Using regular gas in 2-stroke equipment likely goes against what the OEM specs in the first place. Stihl say mid-grade is to be used.

If the fuel doesn't have the ethanol in it, use in a vehicle is contrary to EPA rules. About the same as using leaded fuel in a car made before 1974. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
Engine Problems Resulting from E10 Ethanol Alcohol Fuel Use:

Ethanol alcohol is an excellent SOLVENT - Ethanol will dissolve plastic, rubber, certain types of fiberglass and even aluminum!
Ethanol can dissolve and disintegrate just about anything that has accumulated in a motor engine.

Example(s): Ethanol will dissolve resins that create a black sludge that coats and travels through the engine, causing engine stalling and complications, including clogged fuel filters, carburetor jets and injectors.

Ethanol alcohol is a DRYING AGENT and can DISINTEGRATE or DISSOLVE parts.

Ethanol will dry-out and cause cracking and damage to non-alcohol resistant parts, especially rubber and plastic parts and components.
Many engine hoses of older engines are not resistant to alcohol.

Ethanol alcohol is an excellent CLEANSER -While these can have useful purposes, it can also be very problematic...

Ethanol will clean and release years of dirt, rust, sediment and other gunk from the engine and circulate it through the engine, causing clogging of filters and engine parts.

Ethanol will ABSORB WATER. It actually combines (adsorbs and absorbs) with water, and the combined molecules are greater than the sum of each separate molecule.
When you combine 1 part water + 1 part alcohol the result is NOT 2 - Combined, it actually becomes about 2.3 volume.

Those familar with storage if alcoholic beverages (bear, wine, whiskey) understand this expansion effect. Diluted fuel (due to volume increase when alcohol and water combine) will lower octane and change the entire composition of gasoline.

All alcohols attract and combine with water. Petroleum and most other oil-based compounds are not soluble in water.
Both MTBE and lead (since banned for gas use) did not have an affinity for water.

Ethanol ignites at a higher temperature, compared to conventional non-alcohol gasoline, causing damage to pistons.

E10 can not be added to a tank or pump that contains oyxygenators MTBE or ETBE.
MTBE was recently banned for gas oxygenation and was replaced by ethanol (E10 fuel).

More Information: http://www.fuel-testers.com/ethanol_problems_damage.html

·
Registered
260 Posts
Around here Ethanol has only been added to 87 octane fuel...from what I can figure. So I use only 91 Octane in everything (since everything I own has a Carb.)
Was using Sunoco premium fuels but that was eating my Stihl ..now just using premium fuel from a high volume station and all is good.

Funny here in Ontario our Head politician has figured out that Ethanol as a fuel or fuel mix is not such a good idea......duhhhhh ...Food or FUEL

·
Registered
149 Posts
I just had to take my TurfTracer in for service on Friday for carburetor issues caused by the Ethanol. Was given an $120 estimate to clean out the carb. That sucks. Need to find stations here that don't sell ethanol in the fuel.

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
I just replaced a primer bulb on a neighbor's residential mower today (B&S engine).
The old bulb blew off the engine leaving a ring of "melted" red rubber. The ethanol contained in the gas transformed the red rubber primer bulb in sticky gunk...

·
Registered
149 Posts
Just FYI for those in TN or possibly elsewhere wanting Non-Ethanol mixed fuel. Try Texaco fuel, they won't be adding Ethanol until the years end.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Also watch out about running too much ethanol if you are using fuel injected units. We had an Exmark come through our shop with a blown engine attributed to too much ethanol. 10% is ok as the fuel injected system can richen or lean out the fuel mixture by up to 15% but not any more. The guy apparently had been running E85 and it didn't take long for the engine to seize. Carbureted units seems to be handling the ethanol better besides the usual break down of rubber hosing and so forth.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.