ethanol killer

delanceyburnett

LawnSite Member
ok just got off the phone with my mech who went to a training seminar. bottom line ethanol is killing our carbs . the plastic hoses and gaskets and the in some cases the car lining itself are being eaten away by ethanol . there are no fixes right know and all carbs setting on the assem line are being shipped as is. there are no service stations since oct (phillips 66 last one to convert) that has gas that is ethanol free. if im wrong please let me know alternatives. i have 3 cub cadets 9,000. dollars worth of machinery no one can fix due to ethanol.:realmad: I am looking into propane or diesel units at this point. but what about the 2 cycles?????????????

ricky86

LawnSite Silver Member
Things aren't quite that bad. Most of the issues I see are from the moisture the fuel absorbs. Use fresh fuel stored in sealed container. Use no fuel over 30-45 days old that is not in sealed containers. And beware of the snake oil salesman who is trying to cash in. The sky is not falling, and your mechanic and/or the person who informed him are being a bit dramatic. Ethanol (in varying amonuts) has been in fuel for quite awhile. People are just becoming more aware of it.

OP
D

delanceyburnett

LawnSite Member
i am aware that i have three mowers down with carb issues all doing the same thing. so yes there is a problem and yes it is finally coming to front page issue. the law suits that have been in litigation are only going to have to take notice that it is a problem and it is increasing. the mowers in question (had)run 5 days a week and two fillups a day. gas is a constance it is not supposed to have or collect moisture. ethanol needs to be removed from gasoline until this issue is fixed.

GravelyNut

LawnSite Bronze Member
Things aren't quite that bad. Most of the issues I see are from the moisture the fuel absorbs. Use fresh fuel stored in sealed container. Use no fuel over 30-45 days old that is not in sealed containers. And beware of the snake oil salesman who is trying to cash in. The sky is not falling, and your mechanic and/or the person who informed him are being a bit dramatic. Ethanol (in varying amonuts) has been in fuel for quite awhile. People are just becoming more aware of it.
It is a problem with humid climates, such that we can still get ethanol free fuel here because of it.

FYS777

LawnSite Silver Member
ok just got off the phone with my mech who went to a training seminar. bottom line ethanol is killing our carbs . the plastic hoses and gaskets and the in some cases the car lining itself are being eaten away by ethanol . there are no fixes right know and all carbs setting on the assem line are being shipped as is. there are no service stations since oct (phillips 66 last one to convert) that has gas that is ethanol free. if im wrong please let me know alternatives. i have 3 cub cadets 9,000. dollars worth of machinery no one can fix due to ethanol.:realmad: I am looking into propane or diesel units at this point. but what about the 2 cycles?????????????

why can't you get carb, kits and rebuild them??? they couldn't be that exspensive for the kits????

Jason Pallas

LawnSite Bronze Member
Unfortunately, I've heard this "urban myth" that ethanol destroys carbs, seals, gas lines, etc... for years. Quite simply, it's not true. Ethanol / Methanol do not destroy engines, carbs, lines, seals, etc.... This myth as been around for years and years - with no truth to it. So, relax, the sky isn't falling, everything is fine.
Methanol and Ethanol DO however, absorb moisture out of the air. So, after an extended period of exposure to the ambient air, the fuel can become laden with moisture/water. On rare occasions this may be enough to cause the engine to not run as it should. I know this, I used to race Karts - fueled by Methanol.

FYS777

LawnSite Silver Member
i beg to differ on two items, gas lines, and certain seals. I have had gas lines on vehicles and a couple of older chains saw gas lines melt, when started to use gas with ethanol!!! sorry but it has happened, and is not myth!!!!

FYS777

LawnSite Silver Member
Unfortunately, I've heard this "urban myth" that ethanol destroys carbs, seals, gas lines, etc... for years. Quite simply, it's not true. Ethanol / Methanol do not destroy engines, carbs, lines, seals, etc.... This myth as been around for years and years - with no truth to it. So, relax, the sky isn't falling, everything is fine.
Methanol and Ethanol DO however, absorb moisture out of the air. So, after an extended period of exposure to the ambient air, the fuel can become laden with moisture/water. On rare occasions this may be enough to cause the engine to not run as it should. I know this, I used to race Karts - fueled by Methanol.

you really should search things out , here read this. Link below

http://www.energy-consumers-edge.com/problems-with-ethanol-fuel.html

Top Forums