1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation about fertilization strategies for success with the experts at Koch Turf & Ornamental in the Fertilizer Application forum.

    Dismiss Notice

Evaluate - Aerate, Slice Seed, Fert 30K sq ft

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by DA Quality Lawn & YS, Aug 4, 2009.

  1. DA Quality Lawn & YS

    DA Quality Lawn & YS LawnSite Fanatic
    Messages: 9,280

    Am looking to seed an existing 30K sq ft lawn. Originally hydroseeded with a very poor blend of mainly rye. I plan to introduce more KBG and a little Fescue with the seeding.

    With Aeration, Slice Seeding, and Starter Fert, looking to charge right around $1,050 for this lawn. $35/K. Any upper midwest guys out there care to chime in on this?
  2. DA Quality Lawn & YS

    DA Quality Lawn & YS LawnSite Fanatic
    Messages: 9,280

    Bump - I know someone out there thinks my pricing is too low:)
  3. DA Quality Lawn & YS

    DA Quality Lawn & YS LawnSite Fanatic
    Messages: 9,280

    Bump, again. Just looking for a couple opinions, guys.
  4. mdlwn1

    mdlwn1 LawnSite Silver Member
    Messages: 2,443

    Your question cant be answered. How thin is it? how flat is it? Difficulty level? Do you mean aerate the whole thing snd slice the bare spots? Are you gonna charge them for a new lawn that kicks azz or just to do the work? If its that bad..your gonna have to feed it more than once and make sure the water is sufficient to make your work effective. Like I said unanswerable question.
  5. DA Quality Lawn & YS

    DA Quality Lawn & YS LawnSite Fanatic
    Messages: 9,280

    50-75% coverage with rye currently. I am going to aerate the whole thing and slice the whole thing. I need to get some KBG and fescue introduced. I already have the fert account for these guys, so ferting is not an issue. The seeding will not be watered, this is a grocery store, I would get laughed out of the building if I told them to water their whole lawn. I know that proper watering is key - but I just cannot control that in this case - I will have to seed at the best time climate wise when some rains are expected. Shoot, Trubrown broadcasts seed as part of their fall app and I am sure no homeowners water that. At least I am trying to get good seed/soil contact.

    If not slice seeding, then what are my options? I don't want to just patch seed, the whole lawn REALLY does need better varieties of turfgrasses introduced.
  6. ffemtmcd

    ffemtmcd LawnSite Senior Member
    Messages: 532

    That's about the rate down here - don't know what your area brings in though - sounds fair.
  7. bigslick7878

    bigslick7878 LawnSite Senior Member
    Messages: 809

    No water?

    Good luck.

    I would wait about 4 weeks and the timing has to be just right, like right before some heavy rains that usually come in the fall.

    No water = minimal germination.

    I would look into putting some penn mulch on top as well,that is going to cost a bit of money though with that size lawn.
  8. DA Quality Lawn & YS

    DA Quality Lawn & YS LawnSite Fanatic
    Messages: 9,280

    I fully realize no water besides timely (hopefully) rainfall is not a very good scenario. But, again, I cannot control that. It simply isn't going to be done - and this lawn has no irrigation. Given the circumstance, is there a better route that I can go to get some seed out on this thin ryegrass lawn and have reasonable germination.
  9. bigslick7878

    bigslick7878 LawnSite Senior Member
    Messages: 809

    Like I said wait until Sept when soil is at its warmest so you have fastest possible gremination, wait until you are going to get a deluge of rain for a couple days, and throw some penn mulch on top so that when the rain hits it saturates it and that will stay moist for a few days minimum.

    In ideal conditions you can get seed to germinate in 7-8 days (fescue,not bluegrass) so if you time it right you can probably keep the seed moist for about 5 which is about as good as you can do in your situation.

    If you really time it right look for a forecast of 1-2 days of rain, then a break for a few days and then more rain.That will keep the seed wet for at least a week and you should have good results.

    Honestly you have a much better chance of a forecast like this in early Sept then you do now with summer weather patterns.
  10. DA Quality Lawn & YS

    DA Quality Lawn & YS LawnSite Fanatic
    Messages: 9,280

    slick - I fully intend to do this job (if accepted ) right around early to mid September.
    Thanks for the advice. I do hope in this case, we don't run a long fall dry streak. If it does become deathly dry in prime fall seeding time, I would probably call the mgr. and advise I am holding off this year.

    What did you think of my pricing? Tried to figure my costs and time as best I could, and added in some buffer.

Share This Page