1. Maintaining Company Culture During Stressful Times

How do you maintain a positive company culture during a time of social distancing, economic uncertainty, and health worries? Click here to learn more.

Dismiss Notice

even hand-wand applications

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by danthony, Mar 11, 2020.

1. danthony

danthony LawnSite Member

We are looking at doing some bed pre-em applications with a backpack & hand wand. Is there a wand/spray nozzle option that makes it easy to do an even job? or just being careful with a fan nozzle?

hort101 likes this.
  2. CHARLES CUE

CHARLES CUE LawnSite Gold Member

why do you have to be careful use some thing thats safe to go over the top. or use granular product and do it when the leaves are dry

hort101 likes this.
  3. greendoctor

greendoctor LawnSite Fanatic

Sureguard or Ronstar are products that need to be carefully applied as directed sprays avoiding contact with desirable plants. What is safe to spread or spray over the top tends to be grass pre emergents. Prodiamine is safe to spray over the top, but it is poor for controlling broadleaves. In an ornamental planting, I worry more about controlling broadleaves vs controlling grasses. Sureguard or Ronstar do a great job of controlling broadleaves.

I use a fan tip nozzle at a set pressure and plan on applying the product at 2 gallons per 1000 sq ft. The increased water volume makes it easier to get a uniform application.

That Guy Gary and hort101 like this.
  4. BigJlittleC

BigJlittleC LawnSite Fanatic
    from Chicago

Practice.

That Guy Gary and phasthound like this.
  5. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

Big C is right.
    Practice with water on cement. Train yourself and your crew.
    Myself, I think spraying with a flat fan nozzle is more difficult to get an even application. If you move your hand left to right--that is bad. If you move your hand forward and back--that is bad.
    Practice wetting cement evenly with a circular filled-cone nozzle. A solution that is visible is much easier to use. Usually yellow, right?
    Maybe a marker dye would help if pattern is not visible on the bark.
    But a marker dye would be objectionable to some customers, right?
    Can you find a marker dye that is also dark brown--so it would improve the look of the bark?

hort101 likes this.
  6. OP
    OP
    danthony

danthony LawnSite Member

Thanks for the replies!