Even the experienced guys get dropped unexpectedly

FitzRightYardServices

LawnSite Senior Member
Had a customer from last season who chose not to hire us this season. She stated that her grandson would take over. I mow 2 houses down the street and I see who mows her….not the grandson a local company does. I was maintaining the weeds in the beds and now they look like crap. I want to ask the company how much she is being charged so bad. I made $1,150 off of that property last year I miss that money.

landscaper22

LawnSite Silver Member
The longer you are in this business, the more you realize you will never please everyone. A lot of times it's just a personality difference. The older I get, the less I care. I do my thing. If they are a real PITA I end up letting them know in a nice way that it isn't for me, or that I am not the best for them. I got surprised by one last month that dropped me. Funny thing is, all of the ones I lost this year have been my least favorite for various reasons. Maybe it's just nature working it's way out naturally lol.

The one that dropped me I had only been keeping because she was so nice and helped me get other business with her family. Well, I show up the last time, and all this undergrowth had been cut etc. When she came out to pay me, she said I guess you noticed all the extra cleaning that had been done. I was like yeah. She went on to say she hired another service to do it and it took them 3 full days of cleaning. She then said she had decided to use them for the mowing too and that they would just keep up all the undergrowth on a regular basis so that it doesn't get out of hand again (keep in mind it was out of hand the entire time I had been mowing for her) She said that I never volunteered or acted too interested in doing the extra. Yet she had only casually mentioned it in passing last year that she would like to eventually do something with all the undergrowth. I have just learned to smile and say sounds good, and let it go. I can't even begin to tell you how many times I get fired and get a call back because their new service provider quite showing up. I just sit and wait. lol...People think the grass is so much greener on the other side. Well, cool with me. If this one calls me back, I will decline. I get tired of people and their lame excuses.

rclawn

LawnSite Silver Member
Good attitude. I see some getting all caught up and attached to a lawn, but it’s just grass and this business doesn’t meet to be personal. I say that, but I too have grown attached to some projects haha.

Andre Passos

LawnSite Member
The longer you are in this business, the more you realize you will never please everyone. A lot of times it's just a personality difference. The older I get, the less I care. I do my thing. If they are a real PITA I end up letting them know in a nice way that it isn't for me, or that I am not the best for them. I got surprised by one last month that dropped me. Funny thing is, all of the ones I lost this year have been my least favorite for various reasons. Maybe it's just nature working it's way out naturally lol.

The one that dropped me I had only been keeping because she was so nice and helped me get other business with her family. Well, I show up the last time, and all this undergrowth had been cut etc. When she came out to pay me, she said I guess you noticed all the extra cleaning that had been done. I was like yeah. She went on to say she hired another service to do it and it took them 3 full days of cleaning. She then said she had decided to use them for the mowing too and that they would just keep up all the undergrowth on a regular basis so that it doesn't get out of hand again (keep in mind it was out of hand the entire time I had been mowing for her) She said that I never volunteered or acted too interested in doing the extra. Yet she had only casually mentioned it in passing last year that she would like to eventually do something with all the undergrowth. I have just learned to smile and say sounds good, and let it go. I can't even begin to tell you how many times I get fired and get a call back because their new service provider quite showing up. I just sit and wait. lol...People think the grass is so much greener on the other side. Well, cool with me. If this one calls me back, I will decline. I get tired of people and their lame excuses.
Don't wait for customers to request a service that you can see needs to be done. If this is something you do, go ahead and offer it to the homeowner. You'll be doing them a pro-active service, building your relationship, securing the customer, and increasing your margin.

Gus McGee

LawnSite Senior Member
Getting dropped by neurotic customers is usually a blessing. Some customers can't ever be fully pleased, because they expect the impossible or expect much more than what they are willing to pay to achieve near perfect results.

If customers become unreasonable or overly obsessed it is usually a good idea to part ways.

OP
Jeff@diyokc

Jeff@diyokc

LawnSite Senior Member

Agree my friend! As I’ve gotten older, I’ve gotten way passed the “ I need to figure this out and read your mind”. As @Gus McGee posted, getting let go by neurotic obsessed people is not a bad thing.
I just don’t have any more patience for the “why does it grow so fast” ( weed infested lawn) the other guy was 24.95 for spraying ( no he wasn’t)
The ( insert ethnic group here …….) will do it at half or less ( ok, then call them).
I too have jetted or have been jetted by pita customers, I’m much happier!!!

jlbf0786

LawnSite Senior Member
this is for the new guys in hopes it explains that you can do a great job and still get fired.

had a retired military couple, bill snd Kim. 1 1/4 acre property, outside okc in what I call a “rural addition”. Full service. Only downside , eow, but manageable.

about a month after I started, I would get texts after mowing, “ best in the neighborhood” “ looks like a golf course”. After soil testing and the appropriate application of fertilizer “ we have the greenest lawn in the neighborhood”,” first time we’ve never had weeds”.

well imagine my surprise when I got the text last night “ no longer need your services”. I sat there staring at it, because right above it was the “ best lawn in the neighborhood” text from a week ago. Bill related Kim wasn’t happy with the “weeds” ( nutgrass” in his low laying, continually wet areas with his new sprinkler system).

I had found out that sometimes bill would use Kim’s phone to contact me about the nutgrass, with me thinking it was her, when in fact he was complaining. Kim herself told me this, and said she was very happy and understood the nutgrass was going to be an issue due to the layout of the lawn and the low laying areas.

I relate all this, not in a “what should I have done”, but rather to tell new folks that sometimes forces way beyond your control, or even psychological issues beyond your understanding can blindside your operation.

on my end, took them off the schedule for Friday and deleted their contact info. I dont call to ask or explain, I’ve already moved on. I always recommend new folks do the same!
Yep, keep it movin.. thats how you've gotta be otherwise you'll just get tore down emotionally in the end if they drop you again. Honestly, after 7 yrs of being a self employed LCO I've had more hard lessons than I care to admit.. but these type things still happen, but I can finally reply with "I understand, but may I ask why you're canceling?" .. and also make sure you're paid in full before you say OKAY to canceling customers.

iand

LawnSite Bronze Member
I got a call from a property manager taking 4 lawns of me because they had expected them to look better,yes they agreed they were looking better than when I started doing them 6 months prior but they expected them to look even better than they were I did point out that they were given to me as property maintenance and not a property improvement which would have come with a higher initial cost,I also laugh because that was nearly 3 years ago and they are currently on at least there 4th contractor and the properties look basically like they did before I started so a lot worse than when I left :)

Top Forums