Lawn Care Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Banned
10,160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ill tell you right now, i fear no man! but dogs(even little ones) scare the crap out of me. customer calls for an estimate. i go over. ring bell, no one home. i need to measure for applications. i go to back fence. now, when no one is home, i usually rattle the fence, yell, make noise, and if there is a dog, he comes running and barking. so, i bang on fence, yell, etc. no dogs. great. i go in, start measuring. i have my head down, lookin at the wheel, im walkin, and i hear this sound....grrrrrrrr, i look up. its a dog, a very mean looking dog, hes showing his teeth(they are big), i show mine too, he doesnt look intimidated. i slowly walk backwards, out of the yard, all the while keeping this beast at the distance of my measuring wheel. i make it out, and close the gate. i dont know what kind of dog he was. but, he didnt seem so interested in biting me, seemed more interested in me just leaving, he walked me all the way out. anyone ever been bitten?

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
No, but there's a meaner than heck Irish Setter next door to one of my properties that can almost make it over the fence. If that dog could talk I'm sure he'd be saying "6 more inches dude and I would chew your arm off." I hate that dog.

·
Registered
198 Posts
I used to mow a yard that had a couple tiny dogs that were fine when the owner was watching but when he was gone they'd come after me. I had my worker follow me with the blower to keep them away. One did latch on to my ankle one day and I did shake it off and kick it a good 5 feet. They stayed away from then on. :)

·
Registered
9,476 Posts
Twice...by the same customer's dog one year (new customer). Told him if it happened a third time, I would either sue or put a .38 in the mongrel cause he had neighbors with little kids that I worried bout when we were there mowing. Dog was gone the next time I was there to mow.

·
Registered
234 Posts
I used to do a Doctors house and he had a huge german shepard in the back yard.
Dog would run up behind you as you were using the walk behind and grab ahold of your pant leg or shorts etc...

Never did break the skin on anyone he did it to but when he'd grab you he'd shake you like a chew toy.

Did it to my brother and to a gal i had working for me one summer.

Dan

·
Banned
1,869 Posts
Hopped off the ZTR, few years back, went to pick up a hose, reached for it, and a huge dalmation leapt from the patio and grabbed my hand. Punctured it in a few places, almost all the way through. Lost use of it for a few days, then gradually got some feeling back, through months of therapy. Now I'd say it's at about 75%-85% normal. Still can't touch my pinky and thumb together without a little help from the other hand. I was working for another co., foreman of the lawn crew, they tried giving me the run-around, so I had no choice but to sue. I will NOT do ANY yards without the dogs being put up, or chained. Period.

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
Customer wanted to show me her new golden retriever puppy. Opened gate to back yard. She goes in, the little golden retriever heads my way, tail wagging, then I heard growling, she said thats ole so and so...then that dog, a small terrier, made a fast beeline for me and bit me just below my knee cap. Bit down hard. Scraped skin. Dog let go, I kicked it. Customer mortified, at what the dog did. Me, a little concerned about my safety, but not really mad. She got the first aid kit and washed out bite with alcohol...ouch!...which by this time was bleeding. Dog had all his shots she said.
She finished by putting on triple antibiotic salve and dressing.
She assured me the dog had never done anything like that before, and were worried about the safety of the kid's friends and company coming by. Wondered about putting the dog down because of it. Dog is probably 9 or 10 years old.
I told the customer to not worry over it, it was an accident.
I think she was really wondering if I'd sue....

However....
A friend of mine is a doctor. I finished job and saw him pronto. He re-cleaned wound with the reddish stuff they use for wounds, asked if I'd had a tetanus shot in the last 10 years, I thought I had but not sure, he gave me one anyway. And some sample packets of antibiotics, 1000 mg. Augmentin XR, a weeks worth and refused to charge me for treatment.

Doc said as long as I have a current tetanus, there is not a lot you can do for it, but take the antibiotics and keep it clean.

No problem so far. I hope nothing like that happens again...
The hornets that stung me last year were way worse.....

·
Banned
920 Posts
My dog story is funny. The wife and I pull up to a job site and there are halve a dozen guys standing around this house thats being remodeled. We ask whats going on and they tell us they can't get in to the house to work because there a vicious dog inside. A couple of guys are on there cell phones calling ??? I don't know but there complaining about the dog. My wife just goes over and opens the door to the house. Some of these guys head for there trucks. She goes in and comes right back out with this six inch high dog in her arms.:D These guys are on there cells saying were in were in. LOL It really was funny but I got some :mad: looks for laughing so much.:) Nobody told who ever it was they were talking to on there cells that a 115 lb girl got them in.:eek: Or that the dog was only six inches tall.

I did get bit the other day while breaking up a dog fight between the puppy's. We have ten puppy's. George got me real good on the arm. I raised up my arm and he was hanging on to it. Lifted him off the ground now that hurt a bit. Went to the store and bought one of those big over sized plastic bats. I never have hit them with it. Just the site of it scares the fight out of them.I sure will be glad when their old enough o calm down some.They just seem to pick a puppy and attack it every once in a while. All you can do is pluck the one thats being attacked out of the fight and keep it separate for a while till they calm down then there ok again.:confused: I'm building more fence every chance I get. I hope more room to run and some space to get away from each other will help.

·
Registered
449 Posts
We have a prop nicknamed (dog crap) the two dogs will corner you. The female boxer is the aggressor, she charged me last week doing a border pass and I jumped off the sulky to be better prepared. Just then I see the dog looking at the mower bouncing off the fence. We have been dealing with the mean dogs for 4 months now.

We found that if we dont wear hats.... the dogs love us? Strange beasts.

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
I keep pepper spray in my truck for dog properties. Not sure if it works on dogs or if it would even affect them (fortunately), but I keep it with me. Guess I should call poison control and see what they say. I love animals (especially dogs) and wouldn't want the spray to hurt them permanently. On the other hand if its gonna be me or the dog, and the pepper spray doesn't work, I wear a small Gerber hatchet on my belt for limbs (or anybody who wants to hurt me).

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
I use to train Dobermans when I lived in WV. Had one that would never show his face until he heard the gate close. Then he had some fun! Haha!

So let me tell you what to do if you are attacked. One yell and scream NO, STOP, HEEL (it's worth a try). If that doesn't work and you can't get away, like over a fence and know you are going to get bit, do the following. Put out your weak arm (left arm if right handed). Then when the dog bites it take other hand and make a fist and hit it in the throat as hard as you can. This should kill the dog quick. If you are on private property do not do this. Walking down the street or on your property then this is perfectly acceptable. I know that you think that it is bad but it could very well save alot of damage to your body.

·
Registered
305 Posts
One of our commercial properties is a construction company. They keep a very large, very mean dog there to guard the property. There is a fenced in dog pen that I have to knock down with the trimmer. We always mow when there are people around, and someone usually gets the dog and puts it away. If that dog isn't put away, I won't go anywhere near that pen. Everytime we mow there, I'm plotting my attack against this dog in case it ever gets loose.

Luckily, I've never been bitten by this evil dog or any other dog, but if one ever comes after me, he's getting my trimmer in the chops!

·
Registered
3,151 Posts
My very first year in business a customer's neighbor had some big white furry thing that would go crazy on me when I mowed. The owners, of course, loved the dog and thought I was being stupid. The last straw was when it went crazy and got half way under a fence to come at me. My customer thought I was crazy, but I refused to come back until she secured the fence.

The only other real problem I had was with these rich flakes I mowed for. The mother understood the dog had to be inside. Her very grown, stupid children would put the dog out when we were there. Big German Sheppard, very mean. We would have to hold it off with the weed wacker. They would put it out, we would knock to have it put back in. The last time I worked there, one kid put the dog in, the other kid let it out. Twice. That was it. We left, the lawn was half done. I didn't care. I wrote the woman a very angry letter and told her to find someone else.

Personally, I don't like dogs. Dogs don't like me. I don't play around with dogs in the yard, you never know when they'll go crazy and attack. If the client can't keep the dog inside when I'm there, I don't need the client.

·
Banned
776 Posts
I have no problems with dogs on properties. However I did have a problem with 1 guy who kept great danes. The dogs HAD to be put inside before I could go on the property. Couple things to keep in mind... The guy had at one time 5 dogs. The sign in front of the house said "beware of dog" because he didn't want the people to know that there were 5 dogs there. Figured you would see one and think you are fine... meanwhile the other 4 are working on you when you don't know it. He told me about another guy had his dog's vocal cords ripped out so that it wouldn't bark at the person before it snuck up on them and bit them. Stealth dog I guess? Told me about his dentist, who had his dog's teeth ripped out and replaced them with carbide teeth so that they would go through whatever the intruder was wearing.

Some really sick people out there. Don't go onto a property with a dog until you have met the dog(s) with the owner there.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Originally posted by fblandscape
Told me about his dentist, who had his dog's teeth ripped out and replaced them with carbide teeth so that they would go through whatever the intruder was wearing.

That has to be one of the sickest things I have ever heard. He must have been one very paranoid person or a great story teller.

BTW, you tell some great stories yourself Bobby.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.