Ever gotten your mower stuck!?

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by MooseMan89, Apr 2, 2011.

1. MooseMan89

MooseMan89 LawnSite Member

Have you guys ever gotten your mowers stuck? If so, how did you get it free?

I was servicing the property of one of a client when the across the street neighbor came over and ask me to mow her lawn down. So I gave her a price (of course i hammered her since she doesn't want to be on the schedule and only wanted a one time thing :laugh:) and told her I'll do it once I'm done with the one I'm currently working on.

The grass in the back yard was above knee and i couldn't really see what was under what I was mowing. So I'm mowing and enjoying the sight of all the heavy discharge at the mower's chute when my mower suddenly wouldn't stopped... So I'm like what the..? I looked at the tires and they're spinning full speed in MUD! My mower was actually sinking!!! I get off the sulky to push her and my boots start sinking.. So i get out of there and see is going on. Turn out they're running the hose from the washer in the laundry to the back yard because they don't want it to fill up the septic tank... Which figures why the grass is extremely high in the back..
    So I tried and to get my mower out with no luck. Tires where spinning everywhere! I finally backed my truck in there, disconnected the trailer, and tied it to a rope and dragged her out... Destroying half of the backyard in the process..

So the lady and watching and like ohhh Im soo sorry and blah blah...

2. dKoester

dKoester LawnSite Gold Member

Always walk the property before servicing it to look for wet turf and objects that could be in the way.

3. OP
    OP
    MooseMan89

Haha! Yeah I normally do especially when it's my first time mowing the property. But I didn't have much time because I had a lot to do. But I ended up wasting more time than what I would have if I had just walked it down first.

By the way... I see tons of typos in my original post... So sorry about that. I was tired and I'm listening to music as I type lol

4. dKoester

dKoester LawnSite Gold Member

No worries man, I listen to music and type as well. Listening to "30 seconds to mars" a song called "the kill".

5. PLS-Tx

PLS-Tx LawnSite Silver Member
    from Texas

When we get a mower stuck we use the other mower to pull it out.

6. newjerseylandscaping

newjerseylandscaping LawnSite Bronze Member

HAHA sounds like fun. THe garden center I use to work at had a simulat situation one day. One of the kids ran the tractor right into the mud pit in between the feilds. the back of them have 55 gal. barrels half filled with concrete to keep traction. WEll they were sunk to the mddle of the tires. After both of the mason dumps got stuck trying to pull it out i hooped on he fork lift threw a pallet of stones in the back of the tacoma threw her in 4low backed up got it hooked up and pulled it out. Thenthe boss man yelled at us because i was the youngest gu on and the onlyone smart enough to get it out. HAHA but any way Yea it really sucks when that happens.

7. OP
    OP
    MooseMan89

PLS-Tx

I only have one rider that i carry with me lol. But man.. You've been in the business for almost 20 years? That's amazing? How many properties do you maintain (if you don't mind me asking)?

newjerseylandscaping

Haha! That's hilarious! I bet without you they would have stayed there trying to get it out for dayss! Tacomas are great by the way.

8. jsslawncare

jsslawncare LawnSite Bronze Member

ZTR stuck. Then my truck stuck. My wife was glad to bring her 4x4 Explorer and pull both out. The little Explorer did good, I drive a Ram2500 4 door.

9. rywnygc

rywnygc LawnSite Senior Member

Couple of funny "accidents" before...

I used to work on grounds at a seminary. We had a guy there that got mowers stuck almost daily. This guy worked his tail off but had the common sense of a deer. He once drove a truck into a 15' hole.

At the same place, my buddy and I were putting a fountain into one of the ponds. We had a small pontoon boat to get out there. We got out to the middle of the pond when I said...um dude, I think we are sinking. It was march in northern Indiana so the water was a bit nippley. He disagreed with me about the boat sinking and we continued to work. As minutes went by, the boat kept leaning more. I insisted that we were sinking. Just after that, it really started to go quick. The back of the boat was becoming completely submerged. We called on the radio to boss man and said mayday!!! By the time the boss got there, we were trying to get back to shore but the boat was about 3/4th's under. My buddy is hanging off of the back holding the battery for the trolling motor with his feet. The boss throws a rope out and pulls us to shore. The left pontoon had a hole about the size of a football in it. Instead of putting it on a trailer, the boss tied it to the back of the truck and just dragged it, at about 40mph. My buddy and I were following him laughing hystericly (sp?) I will never forget it.

10. rywnygc

rywnygc LawnSite Senior Member

Also once rolled a z-spray down a hill (that I probably shouldn't have been driving on) only to end up upside down in a drainage pond. My manager was soooo happy with me.